help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Benjo Needs, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Benjo Needs macrumors newbie

hi, I'm afraid i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to macs, as i switched from being a windows user for 10 years just a month ago.
    i'm running mac OSX 10.2, but have not installed any previous (classic) versions.
    This all seemed fine until i just purchased a digital camcorder, and the software and drivers for it are only compatible with mac OS 9.2 and everything previous.
    Can i still intall OS 9.2 without losing all the information that's on my hard drive?
    hopefully someone could help me.
    thanks!

2. iGav macrumors G3

Re: help

If your Digital Camcorder uses Firewire to connect to your Mac then more than likely it shouldn't need any drivers at all especially if it's from a well known brand.

Plug and play.... directly ino iMovie. ;)

What Mac have you got??

3. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an imac, but unfortunately the camcorder a usb connection, and no firewire :(
    any ways around this?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Since all iMacs have USB, what is there to get around?

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

USB 1.1 will take a very long time to transfer any DV content, you may be better off getting another input device (firewire)for your DV tapes.
    Unless your camera is USB 2 and your new iMac has USB 2 too.

6. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

because when i plug the camcorder in via usb, it doesn't recognise anything as i can't install driver, or software.
    the basic question is, can i install OS9.2 after OSX 10.2?

7. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Thinking about it, your camera may have another name for firewire, maybe ieee1394 or I think sony used iLink as their name for it. The only technicality you may find is a difference between 4 and 6 pin cables.

the question of 9.2 is "yes" there should be an installer a couple of directories down on your iMac's install disc. The install discs don't always mount at the root of the disc so you may have to go up before you go down so to speak.

If the installer is there, it shouldn't be too difficult.

8. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

ah! yes, my camcorder is a sony, and it has an 'iLink' port as a DV out.
    can i get a firewire to fit into this? or is there an adaptor to fit onto a firewire cable i already have?

9. SLeitheiser macrumors newbie

Are you plugging your usb device into the computers ports, the keyboards ports or an external usb hub?
    Sometimes the ports on the keyboard or hub aren't powerful enough to run such devices. And you have to connect them to the port on the computer.

10. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

i was originally plugging it into the keyboard, but i've now tried it in the computer, and redtarted the computer, and still no joy :(

11. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

It should be the same ieee1394 shaped cable. The only shortcoming will be what function is lost if the socket is only 4 pins and not 6, I think either way it'll transfer the video data. should be quite straight forward once you get a firewire cable.

12. SLeitheiser macrumors newbie

13. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

14. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

hmm

not looking good for compatibility....

Here's the list

I wonder why this would be?

15. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, but it comes with software for mac, it's just that i can't install it cos it's for OS9, and i'm running on OSX 10.2

16. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Try the OS 9.2 Classic install if it's on your install disk. You can have the two OS on the same disk/partition and besides the basic classic install shouldn't be that large.

The one on my other drive says it's 47MB, not that big.

Have a go.:)

17. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Have you tried just installing the software?? I've installed lots of 9.2 software while running 10.2 and it knows to start up classic and runs fine.

m

18. Benjo Needs thread starter macrumors newbie

well as i dont have a classic environment installed, it can't be opened :(
    i've just gone through all my discs, and i have an OS 9 install disc. I have just tried to install it, but it says it can ony be intalled in a classic environment (which i don't have) :( what now?

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

You could try could try a custom install of 10.2 without selecting any 10.2 components, instead just selecting the Classic install. You will probably have to boot from the OS X install disk. Wondering allowed there may be a by booting from your OS 9 disk.

20. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Silly me. I'm not talking about a separate OS9 boot segment. I thought every installation of 10.2 automatically had a "classic" environment so you could run pre-osx apps while booted into OSX.

How do you install osx without classic??

m

21. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I think you just deselect it in the custom install setup.

Uninstall? Just delete the "System Folder", not much point because it should only be about 50MB.

22. domberoosky macrumors newbie

EXACT same thing

I'm going thru the exact same thing with the Sony DCR-TRV14E.

The camcorder's from the UK, tapes recorded on a panasonic from Canada but play fine on the camcorder as it seems to be NTSC compatible and I got the laptop from the USA.

I installed classic. My mac can recognise and control the camcorder via firewire ( called i-link by Sony- same thing). but when I try to import footage I just get a blue screen on my computer even though the camcorders screen is showing it playing fine. Tried Final Cut Pro too but got a stripy coloured screen. I tried changing to PAL and NTSC on both FC Pro and iMOVIE

Can anyone help??!! I'm desperate to get this footage onto DVD so I can edit it at leisure. I have to give the camcorder back on Saturday 12th FEB!!

Surely the camcorder cant be incompatible- that's just out of order! (i.e. unfair!)

Maybe I can download something from somewhere or something??!! (codecs??)

Does mac OS classic need to be "activated" somehow now I've installed it or is it just "automatic" ( gawd I'm such a beginner!!)

Many thanks for the long read!!

23. domberoosky macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure.....

Hello again.

I've done a bit of research and I'm pretty sure the SONY DCR-TRV14 is incompatible with mac's. I'm a total beginner at this as I only got my mac about a month ago so I hope I'm wrong!

My (circumstancial) evidence is that we've both had similar problems, Final Cut Pro does not list this camera as compatible, the imagemixer website says that it doesn't work with mac's and I've just resorted to my mams PC with no problems.

Also the camcorders instruction leaflet doesnt have a section about transfering footage to a mac ( just about memorystick). So although its not immediately clear I reckon it just don't work- which I think is shocking!

Bad Bad SONY!! I mean this is the whole reason why alot of people buy macs! It's certainly why I bought one ( and paid more than double than a similar PC!!)

As I say I hope I'm wrong and someone posts a solution but it's not looking hopeful- I hope you can take your camcorder back!

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have one of those TRV Sony camcorders (those ones that use a 8mm cassette instead of miniDV - bigger, but cheaper). It works beautifully with my Mac. It was the TRV140 if I recall correctly (it is now almost 3 years old).