Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by MacUser1, Dec 27, 2001.

1. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    i know that this isn't a rumor, but I am desperate:

I am using a Pismo 500 with OS 9.2.2 and OS 10.1.2. I mainly use OS 9. The problem that I have is when I start up my computer (OS9), everything goes well up until after the control strip comes up, then my computer stops responding. I have multiple users turned on, but the screen never comes up. I am probably going to take the computer to an apple store, but does anyone know what might be wrong???

2. ormerlin macrumors newbie

Dec 12, 2001
    Just a couple suggestions...

I had a similar problem with my G4 at work, but it was strictly a driver for an aftermarket SCSI card. Here are my suggestions, they may be obvious, but sometimes we all look past the obvious! :)...

1. Start with extensions off. If this works, I would start with the "Mac OS 9 All" setting next.

2. Unplug any devices you have attached.

If you can get it started, I would run Disk First Aid, just to see if it finds anything.

Did anything change between the time everything was working, and when it started not working? There are so many possibilities, I hope this helps.
  3. MacUser1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 23, 2001
    yes, it does start when extentions are off, thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them
  4. loveshismac macrumors member

Nov 21, 2001
    A few more suggestions

i had a similiar prob after I installed a new scanner.
    The scanner software installed a control strip extension. nice idea but no dice. I simply ttrashed it and im back to work.

Thats the prob with OS 9. Way to easy to bring down the whole thing with such a small bit of software.

If you have 10.1.2 installed use it.
    Everything but photoshop is OS X ready.
  5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Nov 22, 2001
    Start with a base set (say os9 only) of extension and slowly add more until your system does not work. This will let you find out what is the offending extension then disable it so that your system works. Then try and go to internet to look for updated drivers for whatever the offending item is. This should sort it out.
  6. dantec macrumors 6502a

Nov 6, 2001

I had a problem with a Microsoft OLE extension. For some reason once I had two of them and that distrupted my startup pattern.

If this problem hapens often then try buying Conflict Catcher. It is great and doing stuff like this.
  7. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Dec 28, 2001
    Clovis, NM
    First, boot with extensions off on your OS 9 system. Next open your system folder and look for a folder called Servers. Open the Servers folder and throw away any server aliases you have in there. Also open up the Preferences folder and throw away Finder Preferences, System Preferences, AppleShare Prep and AppleTalk. Then restart your computer. And throw away the rest of the items in the trash. I have had problems with this in the school district I work for. If the computer cannot find any of the servers you have to set to mount at startup by password or by keychains, there will always be a alias of the volume in the Servers folder. If you don't throw them away it could take up to 5-6 minutes before the computer realizes that the servers aren't there. I would also recommend to rebuild your desktop, either on your OS 9 system or in your OS X system under Classic options.

Hope this helps.