HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Dr.SMaC, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Dr.SMaC macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I really need your help. Just switched over to macs, and I had 1 big problem already. I used FileVault to incript my home folder, and then I installed norton utilities, and i did a defrag, and all of a sudden, everything was lost, and its in this unrecoverable file called "drsmac.sparseimage". Now since then I unistalled Norton Utils, by dragging it to the trash can, not sure if this unistalled it....now when i use Disk Utility , and try to restore or fix the above disk image, it says there's errors....is my stuff gone for good, or can i restore it somehow, and is the norton fully unistalled? Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You have a backup, right? Good. If you didn't have a backup you would have lost everything in your home folder.

Unfortunately you've just had an experience that many of the rest of us have had. That is an experience where Norton does something vile to your system and you spend the rest of your days telling people, in all caps, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T INSTALL ANYTHING CALLED NORTON ON YOUR MAC. I'm sorry you had a bad experiences, but let me tell you something else I tell everyone--only I don't use all caps for this one: Let your Mac be a Mac. One of the ways you let a Mac be a Mac is to recognize that Apple put everything you need in the Utilities folder. That there's no defrag tool should tell you something.

As for Norton being completely uninstalled, I doubt it. Do a search in Finder (command F) for Norton, Symantec, or anything words that the file names might have. If it finds them, drag them to the trash. That ought to take care of you.

If you keep getting funny quirky things happening and you think there might be a little Norton stuck in your system, I'd just wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. That's the sure way to get it all out. And you'll be creating a new user account anyway so it's not that much more hassle.

3. stylum macrumors member

I guess i´ve heard something about the apple care disc and a situation like yours, but i don´t know for sure..
    my 1/2 cent!

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I don't know about Norton specifically, but most apps are uninstalled just by dragging their icon to the trash. Also they may leave some small settings files in the Library/Application Support folder in your home dir.

As for the disk image I found this Apple page, but it sounds like you have already tried it.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25695

One thing about FileVault is that it encrypts you entire home dir - this can have a performance hit because any time any program reads or writes from there it has to do encryption and decryption. Instead, I suggest having a normal unencrypted home dir. Then just make a small 20M encypted .dmg and keep it in your home dir. Put any financial documents etc. in there. This way you get the security without the overall perfomance hit.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've used FileVault and there isn't a performance hit. But I still wouldn't suggest using it unless you have to because of instances like this. It makes the entire folder appear as 1 file and if that 1 file gets corruputed you lose everything. If you need the security it's great, if you don't then don't bother with it.

6. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Agreed. While filevault was really great in theory, it seems that it has a ways to go until it is perfected. Until then, I won't be touching it.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

To do so:

Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility.

Click on the "New Image" icon in the window's toolbar.

Pick a place to save the folder, and a name for it.

Select AES-128 Encryption.

Select 'Create'.

In the password dialog that comes up, select "Remember password" (the default) if and only if you want to just be able to click on the folder anytime you log in and have it open. Uncheck it if you want to have to type your password each time - an added level of protection if you worry about others accessing your account if you walk away.

You're set.

Now, open the folder.dmg file by double-clicking on it. Enter your password if necessary. Use normally. Eject the folder when done with it.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

lol, Norton is terrible. They seem to only make money from PC switers on the Mac platform. Their Utilities are being discontinued for being either A) shoddy or B) by not bringing in any profit. I think it's all of the above myself.

BTW, OSX has auto-defragmentation built-in and is structured in a way to prevent fragmentation (IE files are always written to the largest empty part it can be - perhaps when you are running low on drive space should you defrag - and even then use something else).

You might what to do an erase and clean install the OSX. Best way to fix all the Norton problems.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

This is just too true. Norton Futilities had it's day in the OS9 and pre-OS9 era.. that day is gone, gone, gone. My wife is watching Sybil starring Sally Field. Someone help me!