Helpful/Fun Apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chris07, Oct 26, 2006.

1. chris07 macrumors member

Sep 12, 2006
    Hey everybody---

I've been an Apple follower for years now, but have never had the privelage to own a Mac. I just recently purchased my first Mac, a C2D MacBook Pro. While waiting for it to ship, I want to start finding some cool/useful apps that will enhance my experience. I know a thread such as this one most likely already exists, but I do not have much time at the moment. It would be great if you guys could just send a quick reply with a link or name of your favorite apps over to me. I am very excited, and thank you guys for all your help. :)

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
  3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    terminal, delicious library, fugu, handbrake, mpeg streamclip, BBEdit
  4. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
  5. dazboardrider macrumors member

Aug 1, 2006
    These are the free aplications ive found and used alot over the last year.

Easy iweb publisher
    Fetch (FTP client)
    iphoto diet (but now I have aperture so no need for that)
    iphoto export
    iweb sites test
    mass replace it
    MPEG stream clip
  6. backsidetailsli macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2006
    i just got delicious library.
    what does it do?
  7. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Some really fun apps:
    Backlight 2 - Make your screen saver run as your desktop.
    Electric Sheep - Simply the best looking screensaver ever.
    Menushade - cool and self explainitory.
    Proxi - Lots of possible uses with keyboard shortcuts and scheduled stuff.
    Earthdesk - Desktop changes as the sun moves. Very cool.
    Google Earth - If you haven't tried it before, absolutely amazing.

Have fun with those. Also, let me second Quicksilver as it is simply the best app ever. My mac revolves around it.

8. chris07 thread starter macrumors member

Sep 12, 2006
    Thank you guys for all your input, I've looked into all of your suggestions, and they seem perfect for my intentions. I really did not know where to start searching, but you guys helped me out greatly. Thanks again for your input, and keep the advice comin! :eek:
  9. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2006
    any tips for quicksilver? i just don't really understand what it does.
  10. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

Dec 4, 2005
    Some people on this forum turned me to Adium for chat I am very pleased.
  11. officerdick macrumors regular

May 4, 2006
    delicious library is a way to organize your CDs/DVDs and Books.
    The smart thing about it is, it uses your iSight cam in your mac to scan the barcode on your CDs. It then contacts amazone and asks information about that code. Then it downloads information about author, director, band etc. It then makes an item in your libary. And if a friend borrows your CD you can make a library user for him. Its just a great way keeping track of your CDs. but if you only have a few CDs dvds and a couple books its pretty useless.
  12. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    There's no app more fun than the terminal.
  13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I cant live without Synergy. Its the first thing I install on all my Macs.

It allows you to use global hotkeys to contrl iTunes while in any other app. It also adds 3 button to your menubar to play, pause and search iTunes.

14. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Oct 15, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Quicksilver is sort of like a lightweight version of spotlight but much faster and more expandablility. You tell it what to catalogue, which usually includes things like your applications, your contacts, drives, recent items etc. You activate quicksilver with a hotkey and start typing what you want. When it appears, you have another box with a list of actions to perform on that item. You select an action, or go with the default action, and quicksilver performs the task. There's SO much potential to do things with this app, as you can scan just about anything and there are a slew of actions that you can perform quickly using quicksilver. Play with it a bit and you'll get the idea of how it works.