Helpful Keyboard Shortcut

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rickvanr, Aug 12, 2005.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I was just being lazy, and found that Tiger has a very cool feature (maybe even Panther and beyond as well). I frequently use "Apple + Tab" to switch through my active applications, and I often got frustrated I couldn't do the same in an application with many windows open, ie. Safari, when accidently I hit "Apple + `/~" and I could easily cycle through all my Safari windows. I remember reading in a different thread about how someone hoped that they'd add this feature to Mac OS 10.5 so I thought I'd share.

For the countless people who have already found this shortcut, I apologize for this thread. For the people, a la myself prior to five minutes ago, enjoy.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I found a new related trick today. Open a few windows each in a few applications to see how this works:

Press F9 or F10 to display all windows or all windows of a particular application with Exposé. Then, instead of selecting a window by clicking or pressing the space bar, press command-` repeatedly to cycle through applications, each showing all windows Exposé style. Press space to select that application or click to select a particular window of that application.

It's a cool-looking effect I hadn't noticed before. I think I'll just sit here pressing command-` and watching the windows highlight and jump around.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I could be wrong, but I think "Apple - Tab" did that in Panther.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Yes it did.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:::Sniff sniff:::

Sorry, massive brain fart. My bad.

Man it stinks in here. :(

7. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

another helpful keyboard shortcut cmd Q for those of you hu didn't know :p dun wrry jus jks

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

*whaps*

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It was the dog! :eek:

10. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

eeerrr, it did that in os-9... possibly one of the 8.?'s, but definatly in os-9 :eek:

11. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

not the specific expose related trick we were talking about. I know 'Apple - Tab' changed applications back in 9, can't remember back to 7 or 8 myself.

12. Jax Mac macrumors newbie

I found this out recently too. I was kind of shocked. My wife (a recent Mac convert) showed this to me. I find it very helpful to switch between open documents in Illustrator.