Helping people with Buying Tips or other issues

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, I want to have some things cleared up for most of us who aren't "in the know" like poor wittle Abstract.

I think we should have a single stance of solidarity on how to help people from now on. Now that those tutorials, or whatever they're called, on different subjects exist, I find them to be rather useless if we continue to help people the same way we did before they existed. Things haven't changed much, IMO, because we don't tell people to look at the guides.

Do we just continue making suggestions for laptop bags, or do we just tell them to read the MacRumors Guide available HERE?? Surely we should either link to the new guides, or we shouldn't and continue to help them as usual. But not both.

Mind you, I haven't linked to the Guides once when answering someone's question. :eek:

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Good thought... I think the Guides are "in progress". Hopefully, the guides will become so useful in their own right that people will link to them because there isn't a better way to say what you want to say.

The Laptop case guide isn't a great guide so much as it's a directory... a starting point. But for some of the other developing guides, I think it will become more useful to link to them then try to recreate them.

Working on further integration still...

arn

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is there a way to just link to a very large thread concerning each topic? I'm sure there are threads that address things very clearly, with lots of varying suggestions, opinions, and general things consumers should be concerned about when looking for an XYZ.

Just edit out all the replies that are one liners, all the replies that repeat info and don't suggest anything new, and those 3 page "Which RAM should I get for my 12" PB" threads will consist of around 7 replies.

Or at least someone should use the info given in one of those threads and summarize it so that these Mac Guides offer various opinions rather than a "Bible" on each topic.

PS: I've almost never seen Arn post here. :eek:

PPS: The only reason I posted this here is because I think we should all be together when it comes to how we respond to threads asking for suggestions, especially the older members. I'm just trying to figure out what we should do. It wasn't really to discuss the Guides themselves. If people see that the senior members linking newbies to The Guides, maybe everyone will do the same, or newbies will go there first before starting a thread. :confused:

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well you can post hyperlinks in the guides if that is what you are asking. The other way arround is also true, as you can link to a guide page in a thread that relates to it :) .

My thoughts on this
    The hardest part would be searching for a thread with information that is efficient in giving truthful, and helpful information for such guide. I think a better option would be to link to a "Single post" as opposed to an entire thread. If there happens to be multiple good posts in such a thread, link to all of them (so long as the number of links is kept to a minimum)

But this is just an opinion

[​IMG]