HELPME ¡¡ powerlogix or sonnet upgrade?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by puppetmaster, Aug 9, 2004.

1. puppetmaster macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2004
    powerlogix or sonnet upgrade? that's the quiestion ..

i own an g4 gigabit ethernet 400 mhz and want to upgrade cp to dual 1.0 ghz or dual 1.3 mhz sonnet and powerlogix have upgrades that fits on my g4 but i want to know wich is the best choice to upgrade my machine
    powerlogix series 100 or sonnet duet ?

thanks a lot i'll apreciate every aditional coment taht can help me to mak e my desicion
  2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

A few months ago I upgraded my 2001 Quicksilver with a dual 1.33ghz Powerlogix. Good company to work with and the upgrade was easy. The strangest part actually was the firmware flashing you have to do before swapping out the processor cards.

Just be wary about cooling with whichever you choose - you're jamming in a lot more power (and heat generation) in a box not designed for it. Thankfully, the 7457 G4 chips run much cooler than the 7455's from a year ago, but you need to be vigilant with dusting. The Quicksilver I use has temp-sensitive fans so I can tell when it's getting a little toasty, but yours does not - so watch out.

Personally, I'm thinking of installing an air tube to keep the intake from gulping exhaust on mine - it's very sensitive.
  3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    From personal expierence I can tell you that the Sonnet cards are great upgrade cards. I never had a problem with the G3 upgrade I put into my old 8600 and I can only imagine they've gotten better. However the next upgrade card I buy will be from Other World Computing. The Mercury Extream upgrade's they have are 100% compatible with all Apple OS's including Panther without software, where as the Sonnet cards do require software and you have to wait for updates to the sonnet software whenever Apple releases updates. I would also suggest that if you have not already done so upgrade the video card. Running OS X a new video card will really boost performance even without the processor upgrade. Good luck.
  4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What do you want this computer to do? Chances are it will do it now without a processor upgrade.