Helvetica Font

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dotdotdot, Apr 19, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

How can I get this font, the Helvetica font?

It comes with Mac OSX, but I have Windows XP.

If someone can, please PM me with the font.

If this is against MacRumors rules, I apologise and let this be wastelanded.

2. imnotquitesure macrumors member

3. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Do you need it for OS X or XP? They both come with it. I use that font a lot in Notepad, just cause it looks good. Just google it,

4. timdeleware macrumors newbie

5. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

6. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, but it costs $22 for a FONT, which comes for free with an entire OS ... I could go to the Apple store to get it but its much easier asking for it in a Mac comunity where everyone has it

7. fennek macrumors newbie

Well,

to my knowledge mac fonts will not work on windows.
    Besides, this is a legal issue, you could buy the whole helvetica font family at fonts.com, and I believe it would be worth the money. If it is not you don't need it. Don't google it, you will only get fakes. Cheap alternatives:
    Arial (I loved that "poor mans helvetica" comment)
    Swiss
    and
    drumroll
    TIMES NEW ROMAN.

It comes FREE with XP!

ROFL

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Does Windows have Geneva? I've always thought Geneva looks a bit better for small-font applications.

9. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Verdana on Win XP is another one you can use that looks close. You have to understand there's just some fonts that came standard on the different platforms, and now people use them a lot, but they don't come on the opposite platform unless you buy them. Helvetica is one of them. It's not just a single font, there's actually a whole set of helvetica fonts carefully drawn to different weights and sizes, so there's actually 20 or so "helvetica's." Thats probably why its $30 for the font. Anyways, about your problem, unless you can find a pirated version that someone bought online, you're kind of stuck. I actually wouldn't reccommend going looking for a pirated version either. Lets face it, you're on Win XP and font files are easily disguised as something else. Also, many people don't realize it, but you're supposed to pay for fonts just like you pay for programs, they're not something you're supposed to pass around freely. On the other hand, almost everyone does.

I think your best bet would be to find a friend on a mac who has the old old program "fontographer." Its a font creation tool, and they can change helvetica into a PC version, its kind of a handy program actually, when you're working in a cross platform office. Maybe someone here has it and can send you a PC version

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Don't forget about Metamorphisis Pro. It is from the creators of Fontographer, but is designed exclusively to convert among PostScript and TrueType fonts for Windows and the Mac.

11. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Ooh do you need it to make the Rachel Stevens logo thing?

12. RubberChicken macrumors regular

RubberChicken

Don't be confusing "included" with "free". Apple pays for the right to distribute Helvetica with the OS (Microshaft did not, so they came up with a close copy). It's not free for anyone. And as said elsewhere, in legal terms fonts are software. They are not free unless they are freeware. In practical terms people do distribute them but the penalties for doing so are really, really high. Of course your likelyhood of being caught is really, really low... unless Linotype is trawling this forum... is that a knock at the door?

Lastly, you don't want to muck about with dodgey fonts, they are tied very closely to the system and if corrupt can cause system crashes or odd behaviour - plus they are not likely to work as well.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Times is a serif font, while the fonts in question is sans serifs, not quite the same...

I second Verdana as the best alternative, if you have it. Or just use Arial, as it is made to be a (cheap) replacement for Helvetica, in the first place...

14. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Jeez ... I already sent you the FontBook file by email!
    What's the problem?

15. fennek macrumors newbie

hello?

did I not get my point across?

next time I use "sarkasm" or "irony" I bet put some of these horrible smileys, JUST in case someone is not up and running...

aw well just for you:

has anybody used Word for let's say the last TEN YEARS???

Now those of you could probably tell me what the standard font is, couldn't you?
    And what font has been used in almost all business letters written by, and recieved by the typical user *hint: look further up the thread* ?

right.

my .

maybe next time I'll use smileys

16. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I have to disagree with the people saying Verdana would be a replacement. Verdana looks so different and is unprofessional if used for print (especially when it comes eye-friendly font sizes). What Verdana is good for is the Web, because it can even be read at very small sizes.

I just hope you can see the difference.
    I just hope you can see the difference.

I would pick Arial if I were you. It's still ugly, but a lot better than Comic Sans MS!

Also, why not use WordArt?