Heralded Iraqi Police Academy a 'Disaster'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Sep 28, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This level of construction incompetence is mind-boggling.
    It's the worst all right. Fecal matter raining down? Oh yeah, that's gonna win us some hearts and minds...

This is another revelation that the GOP doesn't need right before an election.

2. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

I'm just guessing but did Brown and Root (i.e. Haliburton) build it?

p.s. I like the quote in your signature.

3. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Its another declaration that the US doesn't know what it's doing in Iraq. The Army and National Guard are not trained for nation building, and that was not their primary mission. Nation building was never contemplated by this administration before the war, and now its an afterthought. What is revealed to be a priority through the media (in the US) may not be a priority in-country.

Why not train the police recruits within our own bases? This would certainly help keep them safer. Or can we not trust the recruits? And if we can't trust the recruits, God help us when we ultimately turn security over to them.

4. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

No. From the article: "The report serves as the latest indictment of Parsons Corp., the U.S. construction giant that was awarded about $1 billion for a variety of reconstruction projects across Iraq.

Thanks. :)

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can't say i'm surprised, though some people at guantanamo are probably kicking themselves for not thinking of the feces raining first.

in normal world, there'd be firings and investigations. in bush world, there'll be medals and more contracts. clearly parsons wasn't given enough money.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Dude! If I put together a set of plans this shoddy, or administered a contract this shoddily I'd totally be fired! And deservedly so.

And to think I'm fighting with inspectors over a toilet being 1/4" off the spec'd dimension on the plan...

Concrete heaving like that? Floor slopes that bring water OUT of the bathrooms? Jeebus...

I bet their ADA compliance is pretty lacking too. :D

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Another great example of America's hard earned tax dollars pissed away,thrown away and wasted by those in power but who's surprised? Bush has wasted billions of the American tax payers money. Add it to the never ending list of things this administration has screwed up. Do we have any accountability in our own govt? We should just take that Iraqi Oil until all this debt is paid for but King Bush would rather screw American 1st.

8. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol! I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I came over to your house, wrecked up the place while telling you it was for your own good, then took your bank cards to pay the expense I incurred coming over to wreck up your place?

You wouldn't hold a grudge against me after that, would you? :D

9. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

That was the original intent by the current administration. It was supposed to pay for the liberation of the Iraqi people. That's why the oil facilities were guarded during the occupation and everything else was left to the looters, including weapons stockpiles.

How are we different from Saddam and his invasion of Kuwait?

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

saddam's invasion was successful?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sloped floor = faster in wheelchairs

12. Queso macrumors G4

The only difference is there's no bigger army ready to kick American butt back into Saudi. You certainly can't call Bush's invasion successful.

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

We only torture terrorists.

14. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Depends on your definition of successful.

Then again, what qualifies US success in Afghanistan and Iraq? Democracy? Freedom? Can political change for Iraq be dictated by President Bush in America?

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

...or accidental Canadians.

16. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, but we let someone else torture him see. If WE torture them, they are - by definition - terrorists. Hell, if we suspect someone of terrorism, they're a terrorist. No need for these pesky trials to determine guilt. Guilt is now decided by our king... I mean president.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Of course not, what bothers me is everyone of us are getting the bill along with our kids and their kids. Just more of the same from the administration of spin. Bush and his whole gang of draft dodging bums need to be impeached and thrown in prison but wait, Congress is trying to pass another Law that says it was Ok for Bush to break our Laws. Just Amazing , Patriots where art though?

18. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

I would argue everyone that Patriots are everywhere in America, crying out to be heard. The only problem is Congress isn't listening or they just don't care.

What can be done?

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Only one thing and thats vote the bastards out, every single republican and then hold the democrats to the same standards. Do the peoples work or out you go.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm just worried about who gets to decide who's a terrorist, based on recent events.