Here come the spam zombies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by pseudobrit, Apr 27, 2003.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/30414.html

I think there should be a law that any company found to have paid a spammer (follow the link(s) to the advertiser) should be held accountable legally.

Nobody will pay a "marketing agency" that could get them arrested, and no money going in means no trojan spam going out.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The nice thing about this is that the WIntel world is much more greatly affected than the Mac side of things.

I love getting emails that have a .exe file attached to them...;)

D

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

yeah me too.
    'darn I'm missing the latest windows virus' awwwww ;)

4. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Their would be no spam, if people didnt buy into them.

Oh goodie goodie, I have won a free Digital camera / vacation / tv / thousand dollars / house / car / boat etc. All I need to do is enter my credit card to pay for the registration process.

lucky me.

THE SPAMERS MUST DIE

I have just been inspired to create a new thread.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

check out this spamming story my dad told me, he had heard this this past week and a week long training session.

This guy in this neighborhood was this big time spammer. this newpaper jounalist wanted to do a interveiw with him. the guy said he can interview him aslong as he didnt give away his location. the newspaper guy agreed. so he showed up his house and interviewed. they guy had 3 big computers he sent the stuff from and he had these 3 people typing all the emails up on his computers. he sent our an estimated 1 billion emails a day. well the newspaper guy didnt say his location but did describe his neighborhood. well one guy who read it felt like they had described his neighborhood. he thought if he lives in his neighborhood he willl see the 3 people walking in and out of his house everyday. he did see them so he knew it was him. he got everyone in his neighborhood to suscribe him to every free magizine,newspaper, book of whatever to his house. everydad instead of a post man coming by a post office truck would come by and dump it at his house. no he is trying to sue the newspaper. man i thought that was a funny story, that would really suck getting all the mail in your yard or whatever.

iJon

6. conceptdev macrumors regular

iJon - It is true, it was a /. story some time over the past few days.

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Nice story iJon. Revenge on those bastards is always sweeter when it's ironic.

Die Spamming Scum, Die!

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

yeah...his address broke on slashdot and everyone went wild. then the spammer was talking so much about how he was going to sue left and right. whatever, you reap what you sow.

i wonder if this spam zombie thing is the reason that i have bene getting, say, 80% more spam the last few weeks than i ever have. its been ridiculous. thank God for Mail.app.

9. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

I wish they would release his address so we could send him "special packages". I hate spammers more than anything else on the net.

Die when you die, when you die, you're gonna DIE! - GG Allin

10. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Has anyone else noticed that when using Mail.app and you bounce the junk mail back, you start to get less of it?

11. railthinner macrumors regular

I've been considering moving my site (therefore my mail server) to a CA based host provider because of their recently passed anti-spam legislation. Anybody have any updates as to whether it's been the least bit effective?

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There hasn't been much noticable improvement based on state legislation so far. Federal legislation might help because it would produce more consistency and potentially more interest in enforcement. However, I think the way to lessen spam is to keep it from getting to victims rather than trying to scare spammers or track them down for legal action individually.

Something I don't understand: If reverse name lookups done by a mail server would identify forged headers and let it weed out a good deal of spam, why haven't all major mail servers gained such a feature? Or have they? The extra processing would add to server (and Internet) overhead, but the cost would be less than the human-powered (i.e., manual) spam filtering that we all must do these days.

13. UKBuckaroo macrumors newbie

Short-time lurker, first time poster...

I'm not sure how "they" get hold of my web mail accounts so quickly but I am increasingly finding it 9Spam) more invasive than junk mail that falls through my letterbox. I mean, anyone can walk past my house or see a map with my house on. What bothers me is when e-mail I've picked, and only use to contact friends, gets spam.

I'm not a parent but I'd be troubled if I had a kid with an e-mail account. Even the titles of some of those mails is offensive.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Now there's something to thing about: Might there be any legal basis to go after spammers for pitching adult-only ads to minors?