Here in Ohio, we LIKE corruption

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Those of you who've mentioned that you're glad that you no longer live in Ohio...well, you've just gotten another reason to be happy.

Tuesday there was an initiative on the ballot to reform Ohio's election laws. Specifically, issues 2, 3, 4 and 5 would have allowed a greater number of people to vote by mail; reduced campaign contribution limits; eliminated gerrymandering by appointing an bipartisan commission (instead of politicians) to draw district boundaries; and appointed a bipartisan commission to oversee elections (instead of, er, um...Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell).

These measures were in response to a number of things, including the all-Republican government in Ohio; the corruption of people like Gov. Bob Taft and his Coingate toady Tom Noe; and the questionable results of the 2004 presidential election, supervised and certified by Blackwell, who was also on Bush's election team.

Well sir! Given the chance to boot corruption out of the process, you'd think Ohioans would embrace these initiatives, wouldn't you?

Well, you'd be wrong, ballot-breath! All four issues failed.

Helped in no small way by a smear campaign that tried to convince voters that they'd actually be encouraging corruption in government, the issues were defeated by a 2-to-1 margin.

And who do you think was behind the anti-2,3,4,5 campaign? Concerned citizens? No, a group of Ohio Republican politicians which included Sen. Mike DeWine.

So. We had our chance and we blew it. Ohio voters are so stupid.

Damn you idiots south of the Cleveland/Akron area.... :mad:
  2. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I'm beginning to think that people like being anally raped by their politicians and laws. Why else would they keep bending over and asking for more? That, or it comes from a lack of understanding of what things really are. I wonder how many of those voters actually understood what they were voting for. And of course, the people who do know what's going on don't vote, because they know that no matter who or what they vote for, they are going to be ****ed up the ****.

Sorry for being so graphic, but there aren't any better ways to describe what's going on here in the US.
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I thought Rhode Islanders had cornered the market on LIKING, ELECTING, and ENCOURAGING political corruption. Way to go O-high-O!
  4. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    dont criticise all of us south of cleveland/akron

although most people in this area are innept, i am one of the few that is not
    2-5 should have passed

P.S you should have seen some of the great signs down here
    "Issues 2,3,4,5 are the devil"
  5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    My apologies if I offended. I was, of course, making a generalization. AFAIK, the two hotbeds of the Democratic party in Ohio are urban Cleveland and urban Akron. (Not sure about Toledo.) After that, it's slim pickings for Democrats.
  6. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yellow Springs, though miniscule, is about as liberal as it gets.
  7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    Yes, they literally do. Across the river from where I live, this fella just got himself elected:

The guy's a self-made "pastor" to boot.
  8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003

But I'm sure God will still help the good people of Wrightsville, instead of forsaking them like he's doing to Dover...
  9. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    As a former Ohioan, and I hate to even admit I'm from there, I can tell you that Toledo is pretty damn backwards.

No need to go into detail, as many of you who know me also know how much I can't stand Ohio. It stole the first 25 years of my life. I want them back. :)