Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bisleybullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
HERE IS THE IPHONE FIX FOR LOST CONTACTS AFTER INSTALLING OS4.

This is very simple.

1. go to settings
2. select mail, contacts etc
3. scroll down to import sim contacts and click
4. wait until finished and you have your contacts back.

Why this happens............

when backing up and syncing the phone the iphone does not store your contacts unless you tell it to. This is NOT automatic.

when on itunes page, you need select and tick sync contacts with...
you then have options for windows contacts , google, yahoo etc, if selecting windows, it stores them within windows.

Hope this helps you all.

David

bisleybullet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
were all you contacts installed on your sim, meaning if you put your sim in another phone they should be there, if so then there is no reason why your contacts arent showing up when you fetch your contacts from your sim.

Ok if you correctly sync your phone ticking the box for saving your contacts, type in search on your pc, contacts windows, or contacts outlook or contacts gmail, etc etc.

If you are lucky you will find them stored there.

missa921

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Thank You!!!!!

After 2 days and many tears, I now have my contacts back!!! You are a life saver! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

missa921

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Upon closely inspecting my contacts, I discovered that I am still missing half of them & some contacts are outdated. It seems that my SIM card has not been saving or updating since I got this phone. :( Any other tips or tricks on how to get my contact list back to the way it was before the 4.0 update? And how do I get my SIM card to start saving new changes??

marketinganimal

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Bisleybullet!

I just got around to installing the latest OS and all my apps and contacts were wiped out. When I restored from an older backup via iTunes, only my apps were added back. Regardless of what I tried, I couldn't get my contacts. I stumbled across your post and voila! It worked in less than 30 seconds. Thank you SO much!

:D

HERE IS THE IPHONE FIX FOR LOST CONTACTS AFTER INSTALLING OS4.

This is very simple.

1. go to settings
2. select mail, contacts etc
3. scroll down to import sim contacts and click
4. wait until finished and you have your contacts back.

Why this happens............

when backing up and syncing the phone the iphone does not store your contacts unless you tell it to. This is NOT automatic.

when on itunes page, you need select and tick sync contacts with...
you then have options for windows contacts , google, yahoo etc, if selecting windows, it stores them within windows.

Hope this helps you all.

David

Bratheryst

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2010
Assuming that you've sync'd your phone, iTunes by default should save your contacts on your machine. This is a default setting in iTunes to prevent something like this from occurring. Check to make sure that your computer doesn't have your contacts saved somewhere on it. For windows, its either windows contacts or windows address book. Possibly Outlook (not outlook express).

If its located on the machine, its just a matter of syncing the information over. Selecting the info tab in iTunes will take care of that.

missa921

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
Assuming that you've sync'd your phone, iTunes by default should save your contacts on your machine. This is a default setting in iTunes to prevent something like this from occurring. Check to make sure that your computer doesn't have your contacts saved somewhere on it. For windows, its either windows contacts or windows address book. Possibly Outlook (not outlook express).

If its located on the machine, its just a matter of syncing the information over. Selecting the info tab in iTunes will take care of that.

I think that is the bug. The "safety net" failed. Phones that were in fact synced and lost all contacts. My husband & I upgraded our software a few days apart, each with our own laptops, clicked all the exact same things, mine was wiped clean and his was not. The only thing mine had on it was the standard apps like safari, you tube, calculator, etc... All of the apps i downloaded were gone along with their saved data. I was able to reinstall the apps from my iTunes account, but still the saved data was lost. I was able to cover some of my contacts from a sim card I had from my previous phone, but that info was 2 years old and grossly out of date because I have moved to another state since then and changed jobs, doctors, friends, babysitters, etc... I had a computer expert look at my computer for backups, contact list, address book, anything, but there was nothing there. :(

rbeckett

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
Same Problem - A-C contacts returned but still missing D-Z!

Same Problem - A-C contacts returned but still missing D-Z!
4 days went by when I had to put some key people in in contacts because I had NONE! - Then I found this post and clicked "Import SIM Contacts" - I noticed it did retrieve all my contacts until my first new contact that was added later.

I have 149 out of 600+ contacts...:confused:

HOW TO FIX?>

Upon closely inspecting my contacts, I discovered that I am still missing half of them & some contacts are outdated. It seems that my SIM card has not been saving or updating since I got this phone. :( Any other tips or tricks on how to get my contact list back to the way it was before the 4.0 update? And how do I get my SIM card to start saving new changes??

aimasito

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Firstly, if the contacts you've lost from iPhone #2 are the same as the ones on iPhone #1, and you've been syncing them with the same Mac, then you should be able to simply turn on contact syncing for iPhone #2 and they should be restored via the iTunes sync process.

If they aren't the same, or if there were contacts on iPhone #2 that aren't stored on the Mac, then assuming you haven't synced iPhone #2 with iTunes since the contacts were removed, or if you have a backup of your computer from before the contacts were removed, you could try restoring iPhone #2 from the last backup iTunes made.

It's important to note that if the backup is old enough that it doesn't include things you do want (like text messages you've received, or photos you've taken since the backup was made), because restoring an iPhone from a backup replaces all the information on it with what the backup has, those things will be lost as well.

If you're unsure if the backup iTunes has of iPhone #2 was made before or after the contacts were lost, ensure iPhone #2 isn't connected, then open iTunes, click the iTunes menu, Preferences, then on the Devices tab, check the date/time of the backup listed next to iPhone #2.

If the backup is from before the contacts were lost and you want to restore iPhone #2 from it, first ensure that in that same window, the box next to "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically" is ticked, click OK, connect iPhone #2, once it shows up in iTunes, right click it in the iTunes source list (on the left), select Restore from Backup... and choose the backup you want to restore from.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.