Here is the mac Tablet!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Glenn Wolsey, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Hmm....

3. taylorpc macrumors member

Not sure what to think about this one... a chopped up ibook?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

This is pretty cool, but I would never buy one because it's just an iBook hacked to death by someone. We don;t know if the edges would be nice, if it would look sketchy because it homemade, nothing. I would definitely hesitate until at LEAST 500 people but one and are happy with it.

6. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

ahh if nothing else it was entertaining to read. I think Apple should come out with one. I actually think, INSTEAD of the iMac in its current config, make a stand that holds something that looks like your iTab so its as functional as today's iMac, but portable as a tablet if you need it. I really don't think it'd be that hard to make and it would be perfect for college students who don't want to look geeky with their laptops.

Peyton

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

the ebay link is someone from MY TOWN!!!

My town is small*about 3000 voters*

Should i go see it and take Pics?

8. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Yes Yes Yes!

9. ibookowner2 macrumors regular

ibookowner2

I dont see a spotlight icon at the top right corner

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

this whole thing seems a little dodgy and the fact that the webpage is a complete rip-off of the apple site is completely disconcerting...:(

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was wondering if someone would do this. There's been a company that puts touchscreen digitizers into iBooks and other Apple products for some time now. So it was only a matter of time... you could've made something like this at home. But I'm surprised that it doesn't work with InkWell. That's too bad.

12. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

cant wait for the real deal to hit the shelf!

13. sahnert macrumors 6502

maybe this is a ploy by apple to see how interested people are in a tablet.....

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Only if its under $1000 would I go anywhere near that device. Anything without a keyboard becomes VERY limited in terms of the speed you can enter text. The slate device is and always will have a niche market. The convertable on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds.

15. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

It's a brave venture for them. The fact they build AFTER you buy shows how much confidence they have in actually selling the things. I wouldn't touch it....

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is pretty common for mom & pop / tech startups who do custom work. Not saying it'd be perfect. And clearly, they aren't equipped to handle much, considering they don't even provide a warranty. But the tech is there. Although it would've been nice if they had Inkwell working, you've been able to buy touchscreen modded iBooks for years now, and any of us could've further modded onesuch into a tablet, if the desire overtook us.

17. sk1985 macrumors regular

You can modify a machine there's nothing wrong with that. However they might be braking some laws because their trying to sell a product they reversed engineered thats based on Apple's patented designs (i.e. mother board, graphics card, and various other mechanical parts). They also stole images off of Apple's website (which is illegal without their consent) and they stole Amazon's buy now option (which apple pays a royalty to use and Amazon has the copyrights to that sentence and it's online purchasing use). All this is just so shady.

18. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Well yes the images are all taken from different sites however i dont' think they reversed engineered the iBook. I think they just added Magic Touch (which is a touch screen over the lcd solution) to the top of the LCD which is switched around and created or modded the ibook case.

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And what are you supposed to do with this thing. It seems like it doesn't have much in the way of usable software.

20. macit macrumors member

macit

no! never! we'll probably see Jobs congratulating them on beating Apple to a mac in tablet form (no matter how "shady") any minute now... any time now...

21. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

There is nothing stopping you from using an Apple Pro bluetooth keyboard, or even plugging in a USB keyboard. Heck, you could even use one of these.

22. Judxapp macrumors newbie

It's a bit too sketchy for me... I'll wait till I find a legit Apple branded tablet ;). Not much of an iBook fan anyways.

23. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Looks cool, but I'd never buy one. No warranty, very difficult to repair, likely expensive, etc. Besides, they say that the touch screen they have doesn't support Inkwell. Without handwriting recognition, a touchscreen is worthless to me.

24. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Very nice device- but it's missing the built in isight... I'm waiting for Apple to do it up.