Here we go again..another dollar coin in the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mac-er, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mac-er macrumors 65816

CNN/Money is reporting that the Congress is drafting legislation to introduce a new dollar coin.

Similar the 50 states quarters, each dollar coin would be introduced with an image of each president--in the order they served.

Congress is not introducing the coin with hopes people spend it, but in hopes they hoard it. The Government makes money when people collect, but don't spend the money.

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

No one likes dollar coins. Maybe this is why the were phased out to begin with. It's so awkward. :( :rolleyes:

3. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't think they're so bad. Up in Canada that's what they use. There are no paper one dollar bills anymore. They can get kind'a heavy if you have several of them in your pocket, but they don't wear out as quickly so the government doesn't have to make new ones as often.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

If they absolutely insist on making dollar coins, I think they should just bring back the old Eisenhower dollars and be done with it. $1 slots in Vegas are just more fun that way. :p

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

One would think that Congress would learn from minting of dollar coin. Just to heavy and cumbersome. Overall use of cash is down anyway. I prefer to just use the paper dollar bills.

6. martman macrumors member

I'd hate to have a Nixon, Bush Sr, Regan, or Bush Jr coin.
    NONE of those presidents deserve anything other than a raspberry IMNSHO!
    :mad:

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, if they'd get rid of the penny, this might have a chance. I think that four coin values is enough, and any more and it starts to get to be too much. Adding coins is a pain for retail because their drawers are set up for the currencies that are most common, and you can't add one without dropping something else, otherwise you are out of slots in your drawer and have to start doubling up.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

im in favor of it. i hate going to a vending machine with a dollar bill and the ****ing thing has an imperceptible wrinkle so it doesnt work lol. sry, i just use vending machines a whole lot...although i think it would be a mistake to phase out the one dollar bill.

9. iGary Guest

iGary

It's much easier to carry around 10 one dollar bills than 10 one dollar coins.

I remember living over in England and always feeling like I have five kilos of change in my pocket.

I prefer the bill, but if they are gonna do it, they just need to nix the bill and be done with it.

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I'd hate to see whatever democratic president out there there is appear on the coin!

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This is stupid. No on wants to carry around coins when they can carry a $1 bill instead. Although if they do phase out the one dollar bill, it would be fun to go into Best Buy and pay with all coins. I wonder if they would refuse that too?

12. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

And I'll be damned if I carry around a member of the Whig party in my pocket! :rolleyes:

Don't forget that 5th coin value, the JFK 50 cent piece! Yes, they are still minting those.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hahaha

this is just a stupid gimmick, bad idea and a waste of resources :(

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Would they mint two separate Grover Cleveland coins? :)

Seriously, this is just dumb. If they DO do it, they need to make sure not to repeat the mistake of the Susan B. Anthony and Sacajawea dollar coins: DON'T MAKE THEM THE SAME SIZE (OR EVEN SIMILAR SIZE) AS QUARTERS. They need to be more like the English 50p piece, which is large and distinctively unround (7-sided, IIRC).

15. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I use dollar coins almost daily! Then again that's what the machine at work dispenses... :)

I have noticed though that most foreign (non-U.S.) countries I go to have a numeric value printed on their coins. In the U.S. we do not... certainly makes my trips abroad a bit easier but I'd hate to be a foreigner coming here.

Granted... most of the time when I'm not in the U.S. I just empty my coins on the counter and let the cashier do it for me... much quicker...

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is another reason why this is such a stupid idea. Those names are fine, but I could add to the list. This should not be political, your comment wasn't appropriate.

17. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I hope they keep a gold-colored dollar coin. Around here, that's the tooth fairy's prefered method of exchange. :)

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hopefully for your kids and not yourself! but that would be a good thing to give your kids imo

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Here in NZ we have 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 coins. I don't find anything wrong with using $1 coins, but maybe that's just because I'm used to them. The $1 and $2 are gold, so are easily distinguishable from the smaller coins.

[​IMG]

From here.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Stupid idea IMO.

And I agree with whoever said get rid of the penny. I'd rather have the price of something rounded to the nearest nickel (and lose a whopping few cents) than lug around all those damn, worthless pennies

21. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No way will the penny ever go away.

I like the gold dollar coins but hardly anyone uses them.

I like Canada's $2 coin too.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i like coins. let's make $1, $2 and $5 coins and actually use 'em. make some polygons. others can have holes. and at least one should be two-tone.

american money is so boring. let's do something cool with it. adorning them with presidents is old. how about musicians? scientists? writers?

end the boredom!

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Circulating $1 coins will never work unless they simultaneously get rid of the $1 bill. Therefore it will never work.

24. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I vote for the dollar coins. I like the idea mentioned above of bringing back the Eisenhower dollar. Dollar bills are almost as annoying as pennies.

The mint should just stop making and accepting dollar bills as legal tender. That's the only way they're going to get people using coins.

25. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I don't like that idea

i hated the 1$ coin here in Canada, the day they introduced the 2$ coin was the day i decided i'm moving to the US when i graduate <-- I HATE COINS