Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fabiettomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Italy
here's the story. it happened a few months ago, the little air is now in his box waiting for his fate..
i accidentally spilled a half pint of guinness on my macbook air. i was in this pub with a friend, and i was reviewing with him some photos on lightroom when suddenly my glass of beer fell OVER the keyboard. quickly turned upside down but it was too late.
mac was dead, or so it seemed.
the day after i opened it up, teared apart everything with ifixit guide, sprayed with contact cleaner the logic board, cleaned everything with alcohol and let everything dry for a week or so.
now,

- if i connect the magsafe it turns green and then starts to charge the battery (orange) and turns green again when the charging is done. i think the i/o board is somewhat "safe"
- the SSD is working perfectly. bought a simple mac ssd-to-sata-to-usb adaptor on ebay, connected to my new air and recovered everything. disk utility says it's fine
- went to genius bar to check the notebook. they said it's a 700€ repair, and i must change battery (two LSI are red), logic board (one LSI slightly pink) and topcase. they said they've even tried turning it on but it just won't turn on. are there jump pads on the core2duo air?

i've read that in some cases the macbook air turns itself on after an undefined period of wall charging. is it true? i can't recall exactly, but at a certain point i saw the capslock green. don't understood what happened immediatly and took of the magsafe..maybe the air was on. who can tell.

what can i do?
is a topcase replacement worth for a try? it's 200€, a little too much
i have another air (under warranty), i could try to open it up but i dont' want to avoid the warranty if something happens.. (i have a pentalobe screwdriver, anyway)
can i resurrect the dead?

fabiettomac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Italy
It's fried. Good thing you have a new one. You do have a waterproof keyboard cover for the new one, don't you? $8 at Amazon.

i bought a new (used) one for 850€ one week after the incident..but i'd like to repair the "old" one. how can it be fried if it keeps charging my battery correctly?

are there jump pads on i5 airs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.