Here's a horrible thought...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm reading yet another article in which Bush, in the face of events spiraling rapidly out of control, is still talking about keeping our troops in until the "mission is complete."

And for the first time I have to wonder if this man is so disconnected from the reality of what is going on that he's actually...dare I say it?...incompetent.

I don't mean incompetent as in "not qualified to handle the situation". I mean incompetent as in "not responsible for his actions anymore." I'm talking like that Star Trek episode where Cmdr. Decker kept insisting that Capt. Kirk drive his ship into the maw of the Doomsday Machine, even though everyone but Decker knew it was certain death.

I'm honest to God starting to suspect that Bush might be clinically insane. Not psycho-killer insane, just no longer able to make rational judgments. He's got other countries already withdrawn or talking about it, exponentially escalating violence, American soldiers on their third or fourth tours of duty, and he still thinks he can win this thing.

Is that nuts, or what?

I know Pelosi and Conyers said that impeachment is off the table, but if this keeps up, you might hear somebody somewhere in the government whisper that the way to get Bush out is to have him examined by a headshrinker....

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it was a couple years ago that p'brit and i were talking about bush being a sociopath (some diagnostic criteria here).

wasn't a terribly popular theory at the time.

from the same page:

3. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

What makes you think what Bush thinks/says actually matters. He is a finger puppet, which should be obvious if for no other reason than his enormous gaffs when he strays from his prepared script.

4. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It's not going to happen. He envisions a friendly proxy government that will alow his constituents access to the oil fields under the umbrella of democracy. Not going to happen. Someone over in D.C. needs to start taking steps to get Bush and Cheney the hell out of there.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that he knows that the war is not winnable, but he can't admit that he made a mistake so he is making us stay until the next president is elected and they get us out.

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I remember that well and was convinced of the accuracy then but overwhelmed by it now.

The question however remains, if we pull out now, what then?

7. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

You take away the need for oil, you take away the need to fight for oil.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Perfect example of someone with sociopathic disorder (from that same Wiki link):

Seems right on the money to me. Look at his reaction to that woman he put to death when he was Gov of TX. Openly mocking her begging him not to let her die. Born rich, Fathers political ties and Granddaddy's war profiteering money always there to bail him out, heavy drinking and alleged drug use, etc. Explains a lot. Recipe for disaster, and we voted him in. Twice.

And worse, he probably is just a puppet for people who are far worse.

9. Queso macrumors G4

The trouble is, we're not just talking about Bush, but the vast majority of politicians in every Western "democracy". I've met enough professional politicians in my time to know what drives them most.

"What can I get out of this? How will this make me look?"

Sadly, most of them tend to start out with good intentions. They just get that knocked out of them by the party system and getting drunk on the power kick.

So you impeach Bush/Cheney and chances are you'll end up with someone just as bad, although with better public speaking abilities.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I first read this:

...as "planning a deficit."

Yep, I thought, that's our George. Then I read it again, correctly.

Yep, I thought, that's our George.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Classy.

12. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, if you remove Bush for the reason of sociopathy, then you probably do have to remove Cheney for the same thing. Starting about one month from now, that'd leave us with Nancy Pelosi running the country. I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I wouldn't call her "as bad."

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Is losing an option? I think not. The real mistake was leaving so many of them alive to cause trouble during the rebuilding stage. They should still be using handheld GPS devices to figure out where buildings used to be if it were done correctly.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Can you clarify what you mean by that? What are you hoping to find? Or are you wishing the USAF had destroyed more Iraqi settlements than they actually did?

15. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Settlements? I'm not talking about Pilgrims here. Having lived all over the Middle East myself, I knew as I saw the battle unfold that we hadn't destroyed enough of the infrastructure or insurgent residences to prevent what eventually happened. It's tough to hide insurgents and weapons in buildings that no longer exist.

16. Queso macrumors G4

I think the problem with that is that when you are occupying a country, the more people you kill the more people will take up arms against you. Add in the fact that the Western powers weren't exactly respected, liked or trusted by the Iraqi peoples in the beginning and the bloodbath was guaranteed to happen the moment the troops crossed the border.

There were only two ways to avoid the backlash the way I saw it. Not invade at all, or kill everyone with nukes beforehand.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Evidently 600,000 dead is not enough for you. Winning is certainly no longer an option. How would you define it? We lost the moment we went in.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And given the lack of planning, attention to detail, and inadequate troop levels, this war was lost as soon as it started. Now it's too damn late. Bushco thought they could do this on the cheap and listened to no one. Now our military has paid the price for their arrogance.

And I agree with dynamic, the only way to have won this would have been to nuke the whole place. And I think we can all agree that is not a good idea.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i wonder how long until you have to take that back? :eek:

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Dynamic said it first. ;) My point is, there is no way in hell we could have gone in there and turned it into what Bush wanted it to be. NO WAY. You would have to kill everyone first! We invaded them for God's sake! Of course their gonna fight back. Especially the longer we are there.

And didn't I say it was a bad idea?

21. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right, the problem isn't the poor planning and execution of the initial war phase, the mistakes of Paul Bremmer and the CPA, including the disbanding of the Iraqi Army, nor mistakes like Abu Gharib. No, the problem is we didn't blow up enough houses.

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Our mistake was obviously only bombing them back to the Neolithic Age. We should have gone for the Palaeolithic.

23. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

When people say, "Well, we can't just leave now" (which I say myself), I wonder when the time will be right.

We couldn't prevent the inevitable civil war, it's going on now.

So many people have died, and will die. And what is the point? There is none. We haven't seen the oil flow, we haven't seen democracy blossom. Those things are NOT going to happen.

Bush has got to be nuts. Or maybe - just suffering some a massive disconnect? Has the man been to one military funeral? See someone's kid get buried a few times, and maybe it would become all too real to him.

Stay the course? I'd just like to know where he thinks this course is going.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's just trying to help sell more books for Bob Woodward. Denial is as denial does.

25. rock6079 macrumors 6502

maybe they should "pull a 24" (sorry for those of u who dont watch the show) and impeach him based on the insanity... then again that would mean chaney would take over.. cant see that being any more sane :confused: