Here's a noodle-scratcher...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2004
    San Francisco
    My partner and I just bought a house, and we had Comcast install one cable modem for each of us. He has his printer shared, but I cannot see it - in fact, I cannot even see his PowerMac at all! Will I have to do a manual connect to use his printer? I thought Rendezvous was supposed to eliminate hassles like that.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Did you go to Sharing in Preferences, and turned on Personal File Sharing, Remote Login and Printer Sharing?
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    How exactly do you have the machines wired?

With one cable modem each, do you also have a hub or router, or is each machine connected directly to its own cable modem?

Hope they aren't charging you for two accounts... The most usual way of going about this is to have one cable modem, and share the connection among the two machines with a Cable/DSL gateway (also called a router) that has, typically, 4 Ethernet jacks on it. This creates an in-house network and allows for file and printer sharing.

4. jcgerm macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    If you both have your own cable modem, then you both have public IP's so you won't be able to see his computer at all. I'd suggest returning one of the cable modems and buying a router. Then you'll be sharing one public IP and have your own private network where you'll be able to see his computer (and printer) on the network.
  5. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

Feb 22, 2003
    Reston, VA
    I second that... that's why you're not able to share printers, cause you're not on the same network.
  6. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    One cable modem for each of you. You guys are getting shafted! I have one modem for my entire house. Like others said, return one modem. Have them credit your account. Go buy a router. Hook the cable modem into the router then the computers into the router and you're good to go. Then you should be able to see each other. Whoever Comcast had to install your junx should be fire for screwin' you over. But then again... that's more $ for them.
  7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    indeed, lose a modem, get a router.

Or: install a server and use vpn (this would be overkill though :rolleyes: )
  8. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    My cable company insisted on doing the same thing - one cable modem for each computer. They said it's not allowed to have more than one computer on one cable modem. Well what did I do? I just said "okay one computer will have internet access then". They put it in, then after they left, I added a router, and gave internet access to all 4 computers in the house. They don't have a clue.
  9. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Blood-sucking scum. I used to think Microsoft was the problem with the world, now I think cable companies have taken over the title as the most evil monopolies on Earth.