Here's a skin to improve that hideous Dashboard calculator

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nagromme, Apr 25, 2005.

1. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

The orange edges don't match each other (look at the bottom corners!), the gray box behind the keys is ugly, and the number contrast is poor! How did Apple let that poor craftsmanship out the door? There... that's out of my system :)

So FWIW, I whipped up this easy-to-install fix. It still has the orange scheme, just cleaned up. And the buttons and numbers are unchanged by this--it's just a single file that changes the calculator body (including making the screen "brighter" for readability).

Try at your own risk... I expect it will work well, but I don't have Tiger running yet so I can't test it yet myself!

Just Show Package Contents on the calculator widget, and drop the attached file "Calculator.png" into the "Images" folder. (And back up your widget first! Who knows what future updates might be confused by the change, so you might want to do this with a copy of the widget.)

If I have the image name or size wrong or anything, please post. I also wouldn't mind seeing before/after screenshots so I know how it works!

If people want I can easily post alternate colors of the same.

Attached Files:

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I hated the Apple Calculator widget at first but I love it now. Widgets are designed to visually look different from normal apps because, well, they are different. The widgets have grown on me.

3. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Same here!

At first I thought, "why the needless wild colors and shapes?" But the bright colors and unusual shapes serve a purpose! Dashboard summons ALL your chosen widgets at once--and then you must single out the one you want. You can do so instantly because they are so visually distinctive from each other. That's good UI design--and since Dashboard is separate from other windows, and usually hidden, visual variety here does not equal annoying clutter.

It's as though each widget IS its own icon in a way--in the sense of an icon as a visual cue to locate a function.

So I kept the basic orange concept of the Apple calculator--which I no longer hate--and just improved (to my eye) the slightly-off implementation.

Plus I wanted to be a Tiger developer :D

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Here are some mods I made. More to come...possibly :)

Attached Files:

5. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

6. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Glad it works :D

Sometime I'd like to add a buttons for Copy, Paste, and one to launch the full calculator (preferably with the number transferred)... but I don't know how doable that would be.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i like Daveway's blue one the best, probably because its my favorite color too

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, thanks guys! I can't wait to get my copy of Tiger (preparing shipment :( ) so I can try these out.
    MR roolz!! :D

9. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Hmm it's interesting poking around the package contents, makes the widgets much more customizable. The images are just .pngs, one can use any graphics program to edit them. I've tweaked the calculator as well, and one can also tweak icon.png which is the icon on the bottom when adding widgets, and default.png which is what you see when you drag the calculator from the setup bar.

Poke through the other widgets, most of them are easily customized as well.

10. Lau Guest

Can anyone post screenshots of the widget with the modfied skin? I'd like to see it in action! Thanks.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Those look awesome. I wouldn't mind a burnt orange one, though. Would be WAY better than that hideous maroon one...;)

12. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Here's my calc skin contribution. It's a bit more advanced, you have to change the LCD backlight image as well. Hope you like it, there are more to come :)

I've included screenshots, visible below.

Attached Files:

13. Xanderxxx macrumors member

14. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

More skins! :) Use the LCD image provided in an earlier post.

Attached Files:

15. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

and even more...

Attached Files:

16. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

Cool :) I didn't know the LCD would be a separate image--so with a few choices of those you could mix and match...

Maybe Apple's badly-crafter calculator was a blessing in disguise. The other widgets could be skinned but it's the calculator that really caught my eye as needing some help!

17. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

Hi there,

Just packaged up iindigo's best skin (IMO) so it is easy to install for n00bs (yes I mean you :))

Just to clear this up, this skin was created using iindigo's graphical skills, not mine (except for the little icon change I sneaked in).

For the 1337 among you, you can force-quit installer when it finishes and go to Terminal then killall Dock to get Dashboard to update rather than log out. If you don't understand how to do this, then just follow the installer instructions.

iindigo's Skin in Handy PKG format

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

18. montana macrumors newbie

Wicked Cool

Thanks for the nice one iindigo. Going to start changing my Calendar one now too. That one is ugly.

P.S. Widgets are located Hard Drive>Library>Widgets

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is sweet stuff - I can't wait to get Tiger so I can play with it. What's the word on individual images for calculator buttons or displayed numbers? I'm going to date myself, but the first calculator I owned had red LED numerals for display. It would be fun to duplicate that look, along with the buttons themselves.

20. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

The buttons clearly have 2-3 images each: up, down, and for operatiors (like + and -) an "active state" highlighted as it waits for the next number.

The digits may be in some font, but even if so, the font color should be controllable in the JavaScript.

21. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

How are yall getting them loaded in? In the package contents the .png shows the skin with the numbers on it. How do I load a blank skin?

22. nagromme thread starter macrumors G5

nagromme

There should be one that's blank, maybe inside a folder. I'm guessing it's called "Calculator.png" and is inside an "Images" folder. Nobody has posted that I got that wrong, but I could have--dig around and see, and if the details aren't what I've said I'll correct my post.

But as was noted above, there are other images in there too. Maybe the one you're looking at with numbers already on it is just the drag-image for when you first drag it out of the widget bar? Or maybe it's the widget's icon that shows in the bar?

23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Okay I found it. Dashboard first loads the master in the contents folder then loads the images folder.

BTW: to keep widgets on your desktop just hold down F12 when dragging out a widget. ;)

24. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I noticed the package has been moved or removed from the server. I probably could figure out which icons to replace, but I'm rather lazy ^_~

-OA

25. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I have an emergency. I accidentally moved the widget folder to another place and now the widgets won't load.

Where does the widgets folder have to be?!?! HELP.