Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
And while I'm at it... What about this one? ;)

Linky

Attachments

• Default.png
    Default.png
    30 KB · Views: 2,089

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
A funny thing. No matter what skin I try I still get some yellow pixels around the calc display. How to fix this?

Also, is someone smart enough to tell me how to change some keyboard commands on the calculator widget? The problem is, the normal Calculator app let's me use "," that I have on the numpad on the right. the widget only lets me use "." -- and that just pisses me off, because I don't have "." on the numpad :Q

So I just want to change the "." to be ",". Thx

edit. OK the installer worked the orange stuff out. Now only the , -> . problem remains..

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Thank you, thank you everyone!! I was afraid that I was gonna have to live with that hideous calculator widget. I had so far almost refrained from using Dashboard altogether because of the ugly widgets. They're almost as horrible as the green and blue Windows XP theme.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
Hmm I wonder if the buttons could be made transparent. Now having actual pictures for the skin kind of sucks.. but if the buttons were transparent it might kick some serious ass.

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
Of course you can make all the buttons transparent. It's just a lot of work required to make a complete new buttonset. It's two layers of PNG graphics per button, plus another layer for - + / and *. And then you have to keep in mind that if you change the size of the buttons, you'll have to change the placement of them all inside the widget's HTML file.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Windowlicker said:
A funny thing. No matter what skin I try I still get some yellow pixels around the calc display. How to fix this?

I STILL don't have Tiger installed, but I'd say that the shaded edge of the screen image may have some yellow/orange pixels to match the default skin. You'd need a new screen image too, which I didn't realize at first. Several of the skins on here DO have an active screen image, so you might try using that screen even if you prefer a different skin. I'm literally guessing blind, though.

(BTW, re all the colors in Dashboard, there's a good human-interface reason: the colors help you find what you want on the screen. It's just like colors in icons--only Widgets ARE there own icons in this sense. And those colors don't clutter your workspace, since Dashboard is separate from it.)

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Windowlicker said:

Also, is someone smart enough to tell me how to change some keyboard commands on the calculator widget? The problem is, the normal Calculator app let's me use "," that I have on the numpad on the right. the widget only lets me use "." -- and that just pisses me off, because I don't have "." on the numpad :Q

So I just want to change the "." to be ",". Thx

edit. OK the installer worked the orange stuff out. Now only the , -> . problem remains..

I fixed the "," problem. You can download a modified version of the black calculator originally themed by Zenith which recognizes "," as a separator as well as "."

Download link

(The download seems to put itself in /Users/your-user/Library/Widgets automatically so it's probably best to backup the old one in /Library/Widgets and move the new one there manually)

Edit: It's quite easy to fix the comma problem yourself if you want to. Show the contents of the Calculator.wdgt, then open Calculator.js in TextEdit, locate the following lines:
case 46:
key = "decimal";
break;
and add a line below case 46: so that it says:
case 46:
case 44:
key = "decimal";
break;
Then just save the file and restart the Calulator widget.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
gekko513 said:
Edit: It's quite easy to fix the comma problem yourself if you want to. Show the contents of the Calculator.wdgt, then open Calculator.js in TextEdit, locate the following lines:
case 46:
key = "decimal";
break;
and add a line below case 46: so that it says:
case 46:
case 44:
key = "decimal";
break;
Then just save the file and restart the Calulator widget.

BIG UP! Thank you so much!! This problem was totally driving me crazy! Everything works well now and I have the lovely brushed metal calculator back! :)

TheMac19

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
Pitt
Woody calculator skin?

Anybody create a woodgrain calculator skin yet? Or maybe a few - a selection of various woods?

Prints

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2002
beautiful new mexico
Calculator without percentage key ??

All of these skins are fun, but how about a calculator with a percentage key ?? What good is a calculator without one ?

mersea

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2005
Prints said:
All of these skins are fun, but how about a calculator with a percentage key ?? What good is a calculator without one ?

Erm.. just add a decimal you lazy bum ^^

10% = x .1
etc etc

sunilraman

macrumors regular
Calculator Graphite

iindigo said:
Here's my calc skin contribution. It's a bit more advanced, you have to change the LCD backlight image as well. Hope you like it, there are more to come :)

I've included screenshots, visible below.

loving the "Calculator Graphite" skin. easy peasy to install it as well :) :) :)

abc123

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
i just had to reinstall and lost 'iindigo's Skin in Handy PKG format', the link is now dead, no one would happen to have a copy would they?

Tahko

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2005
Finnland
Wow!

Many thanks to all the homebrewers! ;)
If it weren't for garageband, I'd fiddle around the system myself.

Especially thanks to iindigo and andysmith for GREAT skins! Makes my mac look much more professional, not a toy.
:)

dogbone

macrumors 68020
That redesigned black is excellent and the transparent one looks way cool on the desktop.

now something useful to do with your newly skinned calculator

12345679 x (any two digit number whose total of both digits = 9)

eg. 12345679 x 63

nborders

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2005
The intel inside makes me want to throw-up!

I get the joke tho.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a skin that has the red-rocks of moab. That is my background.

~n

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
These skins aren't for the full calculator app (the metallic one in both Panther and Tiger), just for the Dashboard widget (the orange one).

Full OS X theming software that can modify metal-textured apps could be able to change the regular calculator, though. Look for Mac OS X themes online--like at resexcellence.com and versiontracker.com.

nagromme

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 2, 2002
Well, if you Show Package Contents for the app, you'll find a few TIFFs in the Resources folder. Doesn't look very promising, but maybe you can change the LCD window at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.