Here's how to remove the US flag from your menubar.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by plasticparadox, Jan 19, 2005.

1. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

If you use multiple input languages, you likely have the US flag in your menubar if you use a standard US keyboard. Here's how to change it to a less noticible 'a' icon.

2. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

3. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Some people don't like American Flags.

Also, everything else is black and white on the menubar, so it can be distracting.

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I guess if you are not American you might not want to have it on your menu bar at all times. Maybe you are Canadian and you are tired of being America's attic. :p

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

People don't hate the yanks that much do they?! :eek: :p

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you just didn't want it there you can choose not to display it at all IIRC.

8. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

Argh. I put a bit of work into this, please don't get it wastelanded or dumped in the political forum. I don't have a political agenda, just an alternative is all. :)

9. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

But if you want to be able to switch languages you'll need it AFAIK, so that's a good hint.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, a workmate of mine was pretty indignant about having the UK flag on the Macs here (even though none of the machines were his!) I think it's only recently they provided an Irish keyboard layout option(/flag). It wouldn't have bothered me much.. different strokes for different folks, I guess.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Just to contribute to the non-political-discussion-wasteland aspect of the thread... :D

No, actually, if you go to international options, turn off the show input menu check box, but enable keyboard switching via the options button to the right of the check box, then you can switch without needing the menu. But if you want to use the palettes or other features beyond just the cycling languages, or if you don't want keyboard switching (I do accidentally hit it now and again, and find myself typing hiragana nonsense :D) then....

Just out of curiousity, plasticparadox, would you please explain how you do it? I assume you're basically either adding a profile for int'l English or PNG file that's hidden somewhere inside some app or library?

12. plasticparadox thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a copy of the default US .keylayout file renamed and with a custom icon. The zip contains those 2 files. Just drop them into
    Code:
    [b]Username[/b]/Library/Keyboard Layouts
    and log out & in again, it appears in the Input Menu list under International System Preferences. Just a simple custom key layout, really nothing special.

If you wanted a different icon, you could just edit the one included in the zip.

13. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

We'll ya'll I thinks we gotsa invade there countries!

In all seriousness though, I really like the change for the languages. I think Apple should make those the default, as the current "flags" are very OS 9 looking and are really an eyesore to the current OS X desktop.

14. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least it isn't the Confederate Flag.

Oh wait, that flag only offends US citizens.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I also like having the American flag in my menu bar. If I weren't from America, then I can understand wanting to make a change. Norton SystemWorks also puts a color icon in my menu bar.

17. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

How do you get the American flag on the menu bar? I never had it, until yesturday I saw it and I just pressed Command and dragged the icon off the menu bar. But I don't know how I got it there in first place; I did go to EDIT > Special Charactors in the Finder menu bar, but not sure if that did it.

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Let's curtail the off-topic/political stuff, folks. Thanks. :)

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Sweet! I've always wanted to do something with that flag icon, I think I got just the image... I might try it this weekend to see what I can do.

20. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

jeez, some people really have too much time on their hands :rolleyes:

vSpacken

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

System Prefs -> International Pane -> Input Menu tab -> Check the box "Show input menu in menu bar"

It will show the flag or icon for the currently selected layout. Which of course you can change to your hearts content, per this thread.

22. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

one of my friends has the scottish flag on his bar, much better looking because it's just blue and white. great. i'm going to do it too..

23. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Here's what I did with the info that plasticparadox gave us. For the first one I decided to stick to the flag format, with a twist. It's a tribute to a great punk band and one of it's members, Henry Rollins & the band Black Flag . (the red outline is my emphasis)

Attached Files: