heres my tv show buisness plan.. any good?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by virus1, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

so recently i have been developing a tv show called affliction. it was inspired by lost, and is similar in too many ways (working on that). it is basically a group of people kidnapped and shut away in a bunker and tortured for seemingly no reason. (can' t tell ya the reason.. its a secret ;) )

so my plan was to show this on youtube. what i would do is to shoot the pilot out of my own pocket, and to air a superb commercial on youtube. at the end, i would ask for advertisers willing to pay for thier commercial to be put on the show for a flat per- view rate. (say $.005 per view per minute of ad). youtube will count the views.

then once (if) i have a few advertisers, i would start producing more episodes. what would happen is more and more people would see them and get addicted (as people do with lost... i am one of them). then they would see the other episodes, and maybe see them more than once.. then i could afford to produce the rest of the season (or maybe the next season). and the idea is that the money would continue to come in.

then i could start selling season dvds of the show. so far i am done outlining the first season, and am almost done with the characters.

tell me what you think, or better, tell me if you are interested in helping in any way. you would of course get your share of the money (if/when it comes), and i would love any help possible (producing, writing, crew or cast (if you are in the sf bay area))

thanks!

2. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

My eyes did a similar thing to the eyes of your avatar.

Best of luck with it. If you think it might work, try and find out.

4. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

i thought asking for constructive criticizm was implied.. mind explaining WHY you don't think it would work, instead of just insulting me?

5. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

never seen saw.. after reading the description on the IMDb.. ack.. :rolleyes:.. only difference seems to be there are less people in saw.. well mine is more of a drama action instead of a horror, and i only hope i can vary in more ways..

6. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Television shows such as lost cost millions of dollars to produce. They are produced with the backing and resources of major studios along with all of the people involved in the production of a TV show. Unless you have access to such resources (and by that I mean everything from cameras to make-up artists) your production values will not meet television standards. And without those the rest of it really isn't possible. Maybe try writing up a script and sending it off to a few studios or something.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Not really an insult there. Taking it a bit personal me thinks

But good luck, don't think it would get off the ground just based on having zero budget basically and no one that is already in the business to build a network with.

8. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

well i don't expect it to be as good as lost and such.. actors are usually willing to work for free or very little, crews as well (or friends could help as crew). a camera costs $3k, lights $600. other than that all we need is food for the people.. (ok a little exaggerated) there are always costumes and props, but the expensive part is usually the people, and most people want to be an actor or a dp so much, they are often willing to do it for fun and food.

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

So you're not planning on getting professional actors? If you think your friend Bob can be the lead I should tell you acting is a lot more difficult than it looks.

But with that said, good luck with it.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

And it's the same for every aspect of production. It all looks and sounds easy in theory, but to actually have the ability to achieve something like this (on a level that people will want to buy DVDs) you need people who have had lots of experience, education and training in all of the various aspects.

11. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

my friend has produced a movie before very similar to this style of production, and the actors, while not exactly what you see in movies, aren't too bad.

12. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

So if they're not too shabby, how is it that they're willing to work for free? Did you know them prior to having this idea and when you told them about it they agreed to help you out?

13. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I say give it a shot. It may be a great learning experience and you may find that this is what you want to do for the rest of your life. And who knows, you may have a real talent. You don't have a lot to lose, just be prepared for the possibility that people may not like it or you don't get advertisers.

Everyone starts at the bottom. Have fun, see if its for you and good luck!

14. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I don't think you understand the time that goes into and lengths you have to go to in order to produce a quality video much less a series of episodes for a show. Being 14 I'm sure you are eager but I'm not sure if you really have the resources at hand? Outside of simply producing the series, it is also very hard to make money off of online ventures especially video. There are a lot of video sites out there that people put a lot of time into producing content for and don't make any money out of it. But there is the experience factor involved and I'm sure it would be fun for you. Check out this website which happens to host web tv shows http://www.channel102.net/index.php

Good luck if you decide to go through with it.

15. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

i have said this before to dozens of people. what is important in any tv series or movie is not exactly how it looks, but more importantly, the plot. people will always watch things for the plot (unless of course it was utterly repulsive). do you think lost would be where it is without its great story and mystery? people will continue to watch the next episode because they want to discover the mystery, they want to see where the character's relationships go, and they want to see the story.

in affliction, the story moves very fast, and there are cliffhangers at the end of nearly every episode, just as it should be, so people will watch the next one.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Can you take a TV production class at your school? If so, you can save a lot of money by using the school equipment and benefit from some formal training. Again, I don't really see what the big deal is, thousands of teens make movies and hopefully their friends aren't so discouraging.

Just remember, you probably won't have a hit right off the bat but I bet you'll learn a ton and will probably even have a blast doing it.

17. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

But if I was playing Jack do you think people would watch it? What about if my dad did the editing and cleaning lady did the music.

What I'm saying is that it is a LOT more than just the plot that makes a good TV show. Think of how many movies there are with ****** plots but people see them because they are well filmed with good effects.

I think if you went ahead and tried this it would be a great experience for you. I would recommend not investing a lot of money in it though. Try and borrow whatever you can (cameras, lights, mics...) from people you know.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm not trying to be discouraging, just realistic. Sure he can go ahead and make something with a few friends for fun, but the title of the thread says "business plan" which implies that he wants it to make money from it. What I am trying to say is that, that is an unlikely possibility.

19. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

True, unlikely he will make money for it. If that is what he wants to know then I agree, very unlikely. I just think he should do it because it would be a great experience. Maybe even humbling.

20. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

I don't exactly know how to say this, but, yes i do. i have worked on pleanty of short films before, produced in a very similar fasion.
    Actually, that was among my biggest problems. i could get the money to produce an episode or two, but after that, i am less certian, especially if i didn't start making money off those.
    which is obviously why i posted. can anyone actually comment on my buisness plan instead of my production plan?

its not like im trying to make a profit. i just want to see if i can get any of the money i put into it back.

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just an observation. It looks like some folks have tried to give you some feedback and you have taken it personally.

Suggest that you don't ask for feedback unless you really want it.

22. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

well then i am sure it would suck (no offense, you implied it ;)). but i was talking about people who knew what they were doing
    Well notice that all the shows at the top have killer plots? i said before that as long as the acting and such is decent enough for the plot to shine through, people will enjoy it
    of course..

i hear what they are saying, but i didn't ask for that kind of feedback (not intentionally at least) i asked for feedback on the buisness elements as if it was already shot, not saying that i can't make it what i want it to be. i know exactly what is going to come out of it, because i know how to.

i have to go, but will be back after the fireworks later tonight..

23. medea macrumors 68030

medea

If you want input on your business plan, it is severely flawed. You can't expect to make money off hosting a show on a free site like youtube. Beyond that I can't recall viewing any "show" on the internet that had actual commercials in them.

You can however put teasers on youtube and host the show on your own site, you know something professional. You put up an official site and perhaps try get some sponsors/advertisers on there. No one will be willing to give you money for something you are releasing on youtube. But basically if you plan on making a profit from this you are setting yourself up to fail.

24. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

did you read my first post at all? the advertisers will pay to have thier ad shown with the show. and yes i know this idea is new. is it too revolutionary for you?
    and why not? the advertisers will pay to get thier ad seen. they won't care if it would be on youtube or anywhere else, especially if they can get more people to see it for cheaper by my method.
    i told you, i don't need a profit.. i just need to support production of the show. i still can't find the severe flaw..

25. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Alright man, calm down. Listen, I know how you feel. And if I were in your position, I would just do it. Just go ahead and do it, no need to ask anybody any questions. If you do well, you might have some chance at creating enough buzz to get sponsors. Otherwise, not.

But just listen to the general consensus here: it probably won't work. Nobody's trying to bring you down or purposely find flaws in your plan. They're just being realistic, because with the limited knowledge we have of you and your show, there doesn't seem to be any way any business would want to invest in your plan.

However, that does not mean that you should be discouraged. Yes, the overall feeling is that you won't achieve what you hope to, but that just means that you should be prepared to accept that you might fail - not that you should abandon the whole thing. If you have the will and the mind, just do it. No need to ask for others' opinions, because, let's face it, they don't know you.

But if you came here expecting to be applauded and have businesses already vying to sponsor your show, that is a mistake on your part. Accept that reality has a chance of being far from what your dream is, and be thankful that people here are being honest with you, instead of in-genuinely boosting your hopes up.

I wish you the best of luck. Looks like you know that you know what you're doing, and frankly, that's really all that matters.

irmongoose

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.