Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
According to the US Army Corps of Engineers, “Aluminum has
excellent corrosion resistance in a wide range of water and
soil conditions because of the tough oxide film that forms
on its surface.

Did you fail chemistry or something? The protective layer of oxide forms from some of the aluminium having been corroded. It then helps to prevent further corrosion.

Where did you think the oxide layer came from?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Did you fail chemistry or something? The protective layer of oxide forms from some of the aluminium having been corroded. It then helps to prevent further corrosion.

Where did you think the oxide layer came from?

Did you fail reading comprehension or something? You probably do since you keep making up stuff about things I never said.

The oxidation forms a protective layer that is resistant to corrosion.

According to the US Army Corps of Engineers, “Aluminum has
excellent corrosion resistance
in a wide range of water and
soil conditions because of the tough oxide film that forms
on its surface.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/aluminum1.htm

Other important properties of aluminum are listed below:

Melting point: 660 degrees C (933 K; 1,220 degrees F)
Boiling point: 2,519 degrees C (2,792 K; 4,566 degrees F)
Density: 2.7 g/cm3
High reflectivity
Nonmagnetic
Nonsparking
Resistant to corrosion

These final two properties make aluminum particularly useful. Its corrosion resistance is due to chemical reactions that take place between the metal and oxygen. When aluminum reacts with oxygen, a layer of aluminum oxide forms on the outside of the metal. This thin layer shields the underlying aluminum from the corrosive effects of oxygen, water and other chemicals. As a result, aluminum is especially valuable for use outdoors. It also doesn't produce sparks when struck, which means you can use it near flammable or explosive materials.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
When people say android devices are made of crappy plastic, what does that mean? Before the iPhone 4, most phones were made of plastic. Did everyones phone just fall apart back then or something? Do these people even own a Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc, device?

All phones have their flaws but to say the aluminum is quality and plastic is crap, all you have to do is go look at the first two pages in the iPhone section and see all the complaints from actual iPhone users regarding the quality of the iPhones aluminum.

Yup. Major complaints with the scuffs and bents.

Where is Zbarian to defend that Apple engineering is better? He once said he considers the iPhone 5's thin and light design to be innovative only because it's engineered well, but said he couldn't grant others OEMs the same title of innovator for making their devices thin/light during the 4/4S era.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Why don't you tell others on thread thread to stop crapping on Aluminum.

*sigh* you just don't get it, do you? Anyone who IS doing that is doing because of things you have said here. They are reacting to YOU.

----------

did you fail reading comprehension or something?

The oxidation forms a protective layer that is resistant to corrosion.

oxidation IS a form of corrosion.

When exposed to the environment, the outer layer of aluminium will oxidise (ie undergo corrosion) and forms a hard protective shell which helps to prevent further oxidation. This is in contrast to the oxidation of say, iron, which confers no resistance to further oxidation.

Last edited:

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
oxidation IS a form of corrosion.

You're quote things you clearly have no understanding of.... and then arguing at length about it.

Oxidation can be corrosion.

When steel goes through oxidation, it forms rust which is corrosion.
When Aluminum goes through oxidation, it forms a protective layer that is resistant to corrosion.
When plastic goes through oxidation, it turns dull, brown, or yellow.

That's why Aluminum is used over steel in many situations where the resistant to corrosion properties of Aluminum is needed.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011

Because no one's really crapping on aluminum (though I'm only following this thread loosely). In general, no one is using the same rhetoric you use. People are just pointing out the stories about scuffs, dents, bents and calling into question Apple's supposedly always-perfect design choices.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Because no one's really crapping on aluminum (though I'm only following this thread loosely). In general, no one is using the same rhetoric you use. People are just pointing out the stories about scuffs, dents, bents and calling into question Apple's supposedly always-perfect design choices.

Haha...

You made a definitive argument saying "no one's really crapping on aluminum", then follow up with "though I'm only following this thread loosely"

That's funny stuff right there.

Last edited:

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Oxidation can be corrosion.

When steel goes through oxidation, it forms rust which is corrosion.
When Aluminum goes through oxidation, it forms a protective layer that is resistant to corrosion.

Hahahaha. Please at least have the good sense to know when you're wrong. Aluminium reacting into Aluminium oxide is a form of corrosion.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Hahahaha. Please at least have the good sense to know when you're wrong. Aluminium reacting into Aluminium oxide is a form of corrosion.

So when plastic goes through oxidation, that's corrosion?
What about when human body goes through oxidation?

Ever tried leaving plastic out in the sun too long?

Corrosion implies a harmful deterioration.

Go read a book:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047171576X.html

Corrosion Resistance of Aluminum and Magnesium Alloys

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Do you use aluminum as flooring for your house since it is more expensive? NO.
Different materials are suited for different use.

To the eyes, a spray painted aluminium looks no different from a spray painted polycarbonate. But polycarbonate is more fitting for phone as it is more durable and lighter and it does not dent/bent or scratch easily.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Fanboy of aliminum?

Yeah. I do like my portable devices made from aluminum over cheap plastic.

OK, thats fine. I didnt ask which you prefered, i just simply pointed out that you trying to show that aluminum costs a lot more than what other phones are made of is not true. Aluminum is cheap and it is light, that is why they use it in phones.
As for your love for aluminum products over plastic. Savor it while you can because when Apple uses NFC in the next phone, it wont be made of aluminum because it wont work with an aluminum back. Welcome back to plastic or glass.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Corrosion implies a harmful deterioration.

Put simply, when the aluminium reacts with the oxygen, there is an extremely small amount of corrosion occurring when the aluminium oxide is formed.

What do you think aluminium oxide is? Of what do you think it is composed?

Generally speaking this:
4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3

You're losing some of the aluminium in whatever the object is when it forms the oxide. It's an extremely thin layer of oxide and its an extremely small amount of corrosion, but it is still occurring.

The process is called passivation:

Passivation refers to the spontaneous formation of an ultrathin film of corrosion products known as passive film, on the metal's surface that act as a barrier to further oxidation. The chemical composition and microstructure of a passive film are different from the underlying metal. Typical passive film thickness on aluminium, stainless steels and alloys is within 10 nanometers. The passive film is different from oxide layers that are formed upon heating and are in the micrometer thickness range – the passive film recovers if removed or damaged whereas the oxide layer does not. Passivation in natural environments such as air, water and soil at moderate pH is seen in such materials as aluminium, stainless steel, titanium, and silicon.

Please stop making a fool of yourself.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Everyone, just stop responding to hyteckit. We have already proven he's a die hard Apple fan and will say just about anything to continue to troll this thread.

I am not saying he is a troll, just that he is trolling this thread to instigate arguments with everyone.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Put simply, when the aluminium reacts with the oxygen, there is an extremely small amount of corrosion occurring when the aluminium oxide is formed.

What do you think aluminium oxide is? Of what do you think it is composed?

Generally speaking this:
4Al + 3O2 --> 2Al2O3

You're losing some of the aluminium in whatever the object is when it forms the oxide. It's an extremely thin layer of oxide and its an extremely small amount of corrosion, but it is still occurring.

The process is called passivation:

Please stop making a fool of yourself.

Hey sickboy. Are you saying I'm wrong when I point out Aluminum has excellent corrosion resistance?

What part of "Aluminum has excellent corrosion resistance" or "Resistant to corrosion" don't you get?

Are you saying oxidation on Aluminum is a negative if it forms a protective layer against corrosion?

Seems that oxidation of Aluminum is a positive thing.

Oxidation of Aluminum => positive effect
Oxidation of Steel => negative effect
Oxidation of Plastic => negative effect

Seems like a argument for using Aluminum to me.

----------

Everyone, just stop responding to hyteckit. We have already proven he's a die hard Apple fan and will say just about anything to continue to troll this thread.

I am not saying he is a troll, just that he is trolling this thread to instigate arguments with everyone.

Hey siiip5.

I know you are troll. Why did you bring up iOS and auto-correct and how Apple sucks in this thread?

This thread wasn't about Apple versus Android.

When were you registered? Oh right, a few days ago just to troll the threads.

Again, why smartphones do you own again? I currently have two Samsung Android phones and an iPhone.

What about you? Right, you are a troll. You don't need a phone.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Because there are cheap crappy plastic and then there all good quality plastic.

I was making a distinction to avoid generalizing. Others here are just overreacting when they see the word 'crappy' follows by 'plastic'.

----------

Hey aerok. Why don't you take your own advice.

Are you criticizing my preference of Aluminum over plastic when it comes to cellphones and portable devices?

To you, it's okay to say bad things about aluminum, but saying I prefer Aluminum over plastic is a big no no in your book.

I never said aluminum was crappy unlike you and I never criticized your preference... I just said it was more scratch prone than plastic hence I prefer the latter. I can't argue against the others, they bring out arguments why aluminum is not a good material, whereas you just say it feels cheap and crappy.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
OK, thats fine. I didnt ask which you prefered, i just simply pointed out that you trying to show that aluminum costs a lot more than what other phones are made of is not true. Aluminum is cheap and it is light, that is why they use it in phones.
As for your love for aluminum products over plastic. Savor it while you can because when Apple uses NFC in the next phone, it wont be made of aluminum because it wont work with an aluminum back. Welcome back to plastic or glass.

I think he'll find some way to continue loving Apple. Don'tcha worry.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I think he'll find some way to continue loving Apple. Don'tcha worry.

Again, what does this have to do with Apple versus Android?

It's Aluminum versus plastic. Come on, follow the thread.

Right, you are just following it loosely. You will find some way to hate Apple.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hey sickboy. Are you saying I'm wrong when I point out Aluminum has excellent corrosion resistance?

No i'm not, you're 100% correct.

Are you saying oxidation on Aluminum is a negative if it forms a protective layer against corrosion?

Again, no I'm not arguing this. It is an extremely valuable property of aluminium.

Seems that oxidation of Aluminum is a positive thing.

Corrosion isn't an inherently good or bad thing. Put simply, it is the reaction of a substance to its surrounding environment. One example of this is oxidation.

You seem to be thinking that if the oxidation if of benefit it can't be considered corrosion. I'm saying that this is wrong.

The problem here is your misunderstanding of corrosion in a chemical context, rather than the common/everyday usage of the word.

Aluminium's initial oxidation/corrosion then protects it from further oxidation (passivation).

This is the only point I am trying to make.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Be honest, have you read that book yourself?

Let's just drop the corrosion issue, it hasn't happened to any of the iPhones yet so we can't say it is an issue. AFAIK, corrosion will only occur after a long period of time underwater or under intense humidity, that will screw up any device long before corrosion occurs.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Again, what does this have to do with Apple versus Android?

It's Aluminum versus plastic. Come on, follow the thread.

Right, you are just following it loosely. You will find some way to hate Apple.

From what I've seen, no one is using the rhetoric that you are using and have used in the past. But if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, because I am following this thread loosely. Don't see what the problem is.

What does this have to do with Apple? Please, if Apple wasn't using aluminum in their phone right now, would you really go out of your way to rise to the defense of aluminum in this forum? If you don't see how this is connected to Apple, oh well.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No i'm not, you're 100% correct.

Thanks for admitting it.

I don't know why me saying Aluminum is resistive to corrosion would lead to such a heated argument when it is an actual true and factual statement.

I'm betting it's because the iPhone 5 uses Aluminum and some who would attempt to find anything negative to say about Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.