Hero sandwiched

Discussion in 'Community' started by wdlove, Jun 29, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Spider-Man 2 spins a compelling tale: A superteen squeezed between his awesome abilities and existential questions about what it all means

By Wesley Morris, Globe Staff *|* June 29, 2004

Stop the world! Spider-Man wants to get off! The exasperating double life, the repression of his eternal flame for Mary Jane, the tights -- it all has to come to an end. He has to be free to be Peter Parker: college kid, science enthusiast, amateur photographer./p>

So halfway into Sam Raimi's exuberant "Spider-Man 2," Peter (Tobey Maguire) has tossed that trademark blue and red costume, complete with mask, into the garbage. He's going to take his studies seriously and make a real effort to tell the betrothed Mary Jane (Kirsten Dunst) he loves her -- things he can't do when he's running all over New York City fighting crime.

The first hour of Raimi's first installment, which came out in 2001, was a valentine to anyone who'd ever read the Marvel comic or been an unpopular 17-year-old boy. When the bite of a radioactive arachnid gave him superpowers, his first impulse was not to save the world, but to impress Mary Jane. But somewhere in the middle, Willem Dafoe appeared as the Green Goblin and the movie fell into the quicksand of saving distressed damsels.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm going w/a coupla of friends to a Midnight showing here in LA. :D
    Hopefully I'll have enought time after work to iron my Spider-man costume. ;) j/k

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    This is not exactly a great thread- it tells the story line a bit - and I don't want to know some of these spoilers. Next time put spoiler in your title when you talk about new movies.

Also, this isn't exactly news, even though its in the news. Its more community oriented.