Heroes of Might And Magic

Discussion in 'Games' started by Soulstorm, May 14, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Does anyone remember this game? IIt is extremely hard to find today, I have found only Heroes 3, but I want heroes IV. I remember how I loved the game back when I saw it running on PC's... Does anyone play it anymore?

2. Scartissue macrumors member

I'm interested in this too actually. Im a huge fan of HoMM on the PC, and am hoping number 5 comes out on mac. For now, 4 could tide me over though :D

Dave

3. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I have Heroes I & II on CD's. Its still a very fun game to play. I believe II and III were considered the best of the bunch (I personally prefer II). Everyone i've talked to said 4 was horrible.

4. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I still play Heroes 3 regularly. It runs great in Virtual PC on my iBook G3. I thought about getting the Mac version, but I don't think you can play against PC users. Heroes 4 did suck and it wont run in Virtual PC because it needs a 3D card.

5. brap macrumors 68000

Not true.

It's a problem with the filenames -- the game crashes upon loading a level, but only when that level's filename is less than 6 characters long. Sadly, that gives you one to play with (it's called "Dog", or "War" or something...). Changing them manually doesn't work. I still play Heroes 3 in Classic sometimes.

Heroes 4 is available to buy for Mac, though. Works fine... better on the PC with Equilibris patch, though.

I agree with Jigglelicious... Heroes 2 was awesome, especially the addon packs.

6. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Heroes III is one of my all-time favorites. I still play it on my work (win) laptop, specially when I'm travelling.
    I wasn't aware that it ran on Virtual PC. I'll install it later today and see how it runs.

7. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

EDIT: Double Post. Got a problem with my connection today.

8. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

On my iBook G3 800MHz, I think its pretty playable. You have to put the video settings on low quality to be able to watch them though otherwise the sound stutters pretty badly. There are some spots of the game that slow down but it doesnt really effect the gameplay.

9. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I found heroes 4 today. My god! The performance is a total crap!

I get about 3 fps with my G5! My settings are all maxed out and at a resolution of 1280x1024. I don't know ehy this happens... Crappy porting code?

10. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

I liked HoMM IV, but I would much rather play Age of Wonders 2 :)

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I used to love that game but couldn't find it for the longest time. :)

When I first read the thread I thought it sad Herpes of Might And Magic. :p

12. Dalriada macrumors 6502

I've got both Heroes III & IV but really Heroes III was the best of the two. Check over at http://www.celestialheavens.com/ where you can keep an eye on the status of Heroes V which has already been announced. Be sure to sign up over there and post requests for Ubisoft to port Heroes V over to the Mac community.

- Dal

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Well well, Ubisoft isn't porting Heroes V but Freeverse is. Surprise! (But a nice surprise.)

--Eric

14. Soulstorm thread starter macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Thank God! Ubi's ports are total crap!

15. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I hope they bring back the opera. It was one of my favorite quirks in HOMM2.

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

As a matter of fact, they did manage to score the same composer who's been on board since HOMM2. (Pun intended. ;) )

--Eric

17. Dalriada macrumors 6502

Eric,
    Thanks a bunch...... You just made my day....!!! Well that's great news indeed and nice idea to bump this thread to get more interest in a great game ;) I'm sure Freeverse will make a good job as the IV port was effectively rushed out.

18. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I liked heroes IV more than any of the other heroes games. I thought III was total crap - it was like they just tried ot make lots of new units and items, but iddn't put any thought into improving gameplay.

IV is a completely different gaem from the other 3, so if you want a HOMM I/II/III experience you aren't gonna get it, and i think that's why it gets a bad rap. Instead of adding new catchy things, the game is actually simpler in a lot of ways. It also plays in a much more dynamic way - there are more strategies that lead to victory and less loopholes.

And yes, 4 was released for OS X, but i don't know where you could find it today. I'd say of the bunch, HOMM 2 and 4 are the best. HOMM I is ancient at this point and HOMM3 just seemed kinda halfheartedly assembled.

19. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It's cool that at least one person likes IV the best. :) Personally I don't hate it like most people do, but the Mac version does have some unnecessary performance issues (not a problem on my 2.5 G5, but on slower machines you might have to turn the music off). Unfortunately (for you anyway), Heroes III is by far the most popular and well-liked, so Heroes V is based more on that, except with apparently a little bit "darker" and less fairy-tale-ish world. I do think III is the best overall, so I'm definitely looking forward to it. I'm not sure how the 3D aspect works, but there are some possibilities to have some interesting gameplay additions, aside from just fancier graphics.

--Eric

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

What's it worth to you? :D

Attached Files:

21. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You're in disagreement, then, with most other Heroes fans who much prefer Heroes III over Heroes IV and/or thinks Heroes IV is crap.

Personally, I don't see why Heroes III was so much better. I've played both, and enjoyed them both. Though from memory I seem to enjoy the campaigns (story, in particular) in IV more than in III. Glad to see the same composer will be for V. The music in the Heroes series is great.

I'm *very* happy to see it ported to Mac. I was considering to stay away from it, even though I'm a big fan of the series, because of a nasty copy prevention system they'll be using for the Windows version. The Mac version suddenly appears much more compelling... Now I'm a bit curious what the requirements will be.

22. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I just recently bought a copy of Heroes III for mac from a friend. I'm having issues running it in Classic though. The game will lock up after I win a battle. If i run the game in a window it doesnt lock up necessarily, but it will randomly lock up during or right after a battle. Any advice?

23. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Heroes 4 runs like crap in emulation. Very true. I found the OS X update on Version Tracker by digging through the comments. One of the posters listed a link to a still-active mirror of the patch.

Once you install the update it flies on OS X.3 and above. The frame rate gets fast enough that the combat sometimes goes too fast to follow but the sit-and-wait between turns can still get torturous in 5 and 6 player games.

If you don't find the patch through VT or Googling you should PM me and I can set up something via FTP or something for the patch. Hell, if you're in the Santa Cruz area I could just drop by with my Mini and drop it into your folder. ;-D

Version update: 4.2.3 OS X native. Size: 4.3 MB compressed sit.

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Is this Heroes III Complete or just Heroes III? I've got Heroes III Complete, which doesn't crash. Well, it did crash 100% of the time when trying to load one particular map, but since it's a Classic game, I tried increasing the memory given to it and that worked great. So, try increasing the its memory allotment, and if you have Heroes III Non-Complete, try finding a patch. (Actually, even H III Complete might need patching, but I can't remember.)

--Eric

25. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I have Heroes III Complete. Whats a good ammount of ram to allocate?

Edit: Ok I just upped the allocation from 64mb to 128mb and it crashed again after a minute or so. It seems like it runs a lot longer without crashing if I don't run any programs at the same time.