Heroes Of Might & Magic V / Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by IEatApples, Jan 2, 2007.

1. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I loved Heroes III and I played the HoMMV demo... it was nice, I'd love to get that game but I'd probably just buy the PC version...

3. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

If you read the "news"/answers from Freeverse you'll see that it'll be a great port.

Although I understand your choice, I'd rather play it in Mac OS than in Winblows. ;)

4. gathaar macrumors member

If they say it works better on de mac os side, I'll buy this one for sure.

Hope I can challenge you online,ieatapples ^^

5. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I'm up for the challenge. :)

6. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Argh, I was looking forward to this game until I read it would only run on Intel based Macs (not Power PC macs).

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

this one does need MBP or Mac Pro or high end iMac to run. I love it, but my MB probably won't be able to run it good.

wait, their developer said they optimized the game for GMA950, and it runs on MB with 60fps, kool, gotta buy one.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

sys req

9. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Yes, it will play on ALL Intel Macs. :)

Sadly they couldn't make it run on the G4/G5s. :(

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

That's fine by me. My Core Duo iMac should run this nicely. :)

I'm just bummed that the expansion will not be included. They don't even have the rights to port it yet.... :(

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

they are using cider, essentially creating a small windows environment for the game, so its hard to get ppc support.

12. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

13. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

This game is lame. I've been a fan of this series since the original homm, but all they did with add new graphics that don't really make the game look better, but definitely make it slower, and dumb down a bunch of features. The cut scenes come at you all the time in the campaign, but the storylines all fall somewhere between lame and incoherent, and the graphics are not cool either.

I mean the game is still fun, but it's totally a step backwards. There are no good or interesting new ideas, and in terms of fair gameplay, the game definitely took a large step back from HOMM4. I understand a lot of people didn't like HOMM4 (I did), but despite the fact that it wasn't the same as the rest of the heroes games and that it took a little longer to get into, it was definitely a more well crafted game. There were fewer little loopholes, something that has irritated me about all the other heroes games.

Honestly this series peaked with heroes 2. Heroes 3 was also just a bunch of idiots who didn't know what to do with the new version so they added a lot more of the same, and in turn made the game much less balanced.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i disagree, Homm3 is the peak, HoMM IV's AI is horrendous, and I can't say anything about V yet, didnt even get chance to play it.
    finally, I agree with you HoMM should put more focus on the gameplay rather than super 3D, which add no fun while drastically increase the sys req.

15. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Something is wrong with you! :p

Heroes III was the best.
    Heroes IV was (IMO) just horrible (Yes I've tried it).
    Heroes V is similar in style to Heroes III, but in 3D. Ubisoft have created a masterpiece with this one (again: IMO). :)

16. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

About the system requirements: I've played the PC version on the latest 20" iMac with 2GB RAM & the 256MB graphics card. It plays without ANY problems, or slowing down, with the resolution set to MAX, and all eye-candies on MAX!!! :D

P.S.: I'm "Mitra" on the Freeverse forum.

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I agree, HoMM3 is definitely the best, HoMM4 is just horrible and HoMM5 is like HoMM3 but with some differences.

I like them all, I'd love to get HoMM V to play on my MBP relaxing on the couch.

Hmm I want HoMM5 now though I'll probably get the PC version for better patch support, better performance and the expansion and just bootcamp it.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

according to their developer, mac version runs better than windows version on GMA950 card.

19. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I got Heroes 5 for the PC when it was first released and played on via Bootcamp and really enjoyed it. Heroes 3 is still my favorite, but Heroes 5 has some really great graphics and a few new and nice features. Though, as much as I enjoyed playing 5 for several hours on end, for some reason, it just didn't catch me the way 3 did.

If you haven't bought Heroes 5 for the PC already and want to get into it, I'd recommend buying the Mac version. I ran into a few errors with the PC where it would shut down the game - not often at all - but regardless.

20. gathaar macrumors member

>_<

I understand that maxterpiece likes homm II more than homm III coz III wasn't that renewing. Although I liked the gameplay of homm III much more.
    Homm IV really was a blame for the series, you couldn't upgrade your monsters and the music that was stammering ( the opera voices of chaos castle). I dunno I played homm IV for a long time coz i'm an addict of the series, but i really was disappointed in the game. Then I played the PS2 version homm:quest for the dragonbone staff, man that game sucked so much. U could finish it in one day, the maps were so boring and i thought the graphs were worse than those of homm II.
    and i really do like homm V, You're right if u say they actually take the entire concept of homm II & III (almost all creatures of homm III can be found back in homm V) and put it in a nice jacket (Belgium expression =)) (which is superb, again upgrading my monsters),but the graphs aren't dissapointing, the maps are very fun to play. Anyways i played it for 25 hours non stop with a friend (hotseating).Well yeah every1 got his own opinion :)

But one thing i fully agree; the syst requirements are way to high for PC. Someone said it has higher requirements than half life II. =s

PS: I'm not a graphic-whore, I also think gameplay and music in a game are more important.
    Also sorry for my tremendously bad english,but I'm a Belgian "scientist", so languages are my weakness :)

21. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Keep in mind Half Life 2 has very low requirements and runs good on crappy computers (I can max out the game at 1280x1024 minus AA/AF on my 9600SE based computer) AND strategy games can be real hogs requiring and depending on the CPU and RAM a lot more than shooters.

HoMM V is a great game, at least the demo was, I can definitely see myself being addicted to that like I'm still addicted to HoMM3 (I still play it from time to time when I have nothing to do and a few hours to blow).

22. gathaar macrumors member

:s

hey ieatapples/mitra what does hippieman mean with a gameplay video @ MacWorld SF. I dun get it, can i c the video somewhere? (I'm Buddha88)

23. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

They'll probably show of the game at MacWorld, and after that they'll put a preview/gameplay video out, probably on YouTube.
    The video isn't available yet, but hippieman will surely let us know when it is. ;)

Nice seeing you here Buddha88. :)

24. gathaar macrumors member

Yay, I saw that the expo starts next thuesday. :) I'm so excited
    I'm gonna kick every1's ass online >_< *casts implosion*

hehe thx Mitra ^_^

25. gathaar macrumors member

Do we get new information of freeverse after friday (last day of MacWorld SF) or ...