hersh: Where is the Iraq war headed next?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 28, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

lots o' verrrry interesting stuff on what's really going on. whole thing is worth a read.

especially stuff like:

2. tristan macrumors 6502a

Interesting read. Well, it's not entirely up to Bush. Congress could have a change of heart and pull the troops out at any time. The president doesn't have unlimited power - checks and balances and all that. And while it's unlikely that a Republican congress could turn on the president, it happened to Nixon.

Somebody's going to have to put an end to this Iraq debacle sooner or later.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The funny thing is he wasnt elected as a mandate for change, he squeeked into office with a very small margin of victory both times. Then acted as if he won by a landslide. God help this president if he ever had to give a speech without a hand picked republican audience behind him. Does he even give speeches anymore to us regular folks who aint brainwashed by his propaganda and spin? I still think in his mind he only has to represent Right wing Republicans and could care a less for the 47% who didnt vote for him. He is out of Touch with Americans yet very intimate with the MegaCorporations.........................our President:rolleyes:

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

how exactly would they do that? they could try to legislate it, but bush could simply veto. is there an option other than removing the commander in chief from office?

5. tristan macrumors 6502a

Sure, if Bush vetoed it, they'd have to override the veto. But Congress also controls the purse strings - Bush has to go to them whever he wants another $50B or so to run the infantry for a few more months. Congress could also just say "we want troop levels down below 80k by the end of 2006." Would Bush veto that? Lots of potential options, if Congress had the will.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Since there was no declaration of war, doesn't Bush have to keep going back to Congress every few months and asking for a customary extension on the deployment?

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

8. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

good points.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

10 more dead today, Does anyone think that part of the world can ever be cleaned up as long as they worship out of the Koran? I dont see it. Many reason to go off on a Jihad, not enough reasons to love or forgive your brother.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

God help us if they ever pick up the Bible!

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

I don't think it has anything to do with the Koran. Malaysians aren't blowing themselves up. They're actually some of the nicest people I've ever met.