hey all guitarists...check out esp guitars

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 6, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i have been a fender guitar player for most of my 25 years of playing, and sometimes i would have a gibson or ibanez guitar as my spare instrument

but in the last couple of years esp guitars, www.espguitars.com has caught my attention...especially this year since they have been putting high end emg pickups and original floyd rose trems in their lower end ltd line and pricing them no higher than $1300 usd or around that price, give or take a few dollars

a guitar with those appointments for that price totally beats out what any other company is offering in their instruments right now, so esp/ltd is a good value

the one drawback to esp is that they cater to hard rock and punk musicians and their guitars tend to be high gain instruments most of the time so you don't see a lot of light pop and jazz musicians using their gear

i mostly prefer low output passive, single coil guitars but there is still something cool about an active emg humbucker;)

2. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i had my eye on an ESP telecaster, went for a Gibson blueshawk in the end - that has two P90's on it so kinda a compromise between humbuckers and traditional singles. I'm not too keen on single coils, but i did have a musicman silhoutte which had 2 humbuckers, one single coil and coil tapping on the humbuckers and that sounded sweet on the singles!

So yeah, ESP stuff is great, and their prices have come down a lot too.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i thought of that one, too

www.espguitars.com/html/wood.html

i have had fender usa and squire telecasters, but i have found esp to make better teles and strats than fender themselves

of course, the best telecasters were the ones fender made back when leo fender owned the company pre-1965

4. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

heck yeah, i'd love one of them - shame they sell for £5000!! I'm thinking about selling the Blueshawk in place of a vintage SG (bit more grrr in that one ;))
    By vintage, i don't mean the crappy guitar company who go by that name!! Something like http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/sg/SG61Reissue.html would be great. http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/hawk/BluesHawk.html is what i'm using at the moment

5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

the vintage sg is the only old flapship level electric guitar that is still affordable

les pauls, strats, teles, jazzmasters, jaguars, rickenbacker 330s, gretsch country gentlemen, and ES-335s of old are just too expensive

you can pick up a pre-1970 gibson sg for well under 1000 dollars

non flagship vintage guitars like the fender musicmaster, fender bronco, or gibson melody maker are still no more expensive than the average consumer level new guitar

6. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

i'd rather get a new reissue than an original - i'd feel guilty about playing an original!! Having said that, my guitar amp is 39 years old ('64 Vox AC50 - schwing!!) and i give that some welly!

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if, down the line, you need to refret, refinish, or rewire your reissue, you can do that without hurting the value of the guitar

but if you had an original 1961 sg, you would have to keep the original pickups, electronics, finish, binding, tuners, chrome parts, and frets to retain its full vintage value

an original vintage guitar that is broken is worth a lot more than a vintage guitar that has been refinished, refretted, and cleanly rewired

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

lol - so far just thee & me posting on this thread!

9. guitargeek macrumors regular

I'd rather jump naked into a huge pile of thumb tacks than use active pickups. I LOVE high gain humbuckers, but EMG just sound bad to me.

ESP make ok guitars, but personally I think Ibanez is the better of the two. EMG don't really play too well until you get to their higher end stuff, while any Ibanez plays great, even the beginner stuff. ESP is really popular with the metal crowd, though. I think it's because their guitars only come in black :rolleyes:

If I had more money, I'd probably get an Ibanez, and rip out all the wiring and put in new pu's, and play with some wiring options. However, since I don't have any money, I'll just have to bastardize my Hamer Diablo :D

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

for the low gain stuff, i like passive pickups like the regular gibson paf's and stock fender pickups due to their warmth and the fact that they sound like the records i grew up with in the 60s and 70s bands of old

for high gain, i have tried the seymour duncan hot rails, the duncan quarter pounder, the duncan invader, and the dimarzio super distortion...but they lose the high end and tend to be very midrangy...don't get me wrong, some players can use midrange to great effect and sound great with it

i like the emg if i go high gain because the active pickups can give you that low end crunch and also have crisp highs at the same time...the only problem is that you have to play as if you are on a clean setting even if you are distorted because the emg's tend to pick up every nuance and if you don't play cleanly, it really shows up badly

i have low gain emg passive pickups on my esp ltd which are the emg/hz line...they have a lot of the crunch character but with less power but lack the high end clarity...they are emg's poor man's emg's...but to a passive guitar fan, these pickups sound more like gibson paf's than any emg active pickups so many might prefer them

as for which guitar company is better, ibanez or esp...ibanez hands down in the sense that ibanez makes all types of guitars and have more of them...and the high end ibanez stuff is priced more moderately than the esp stuff right off the website which ranges from 1399 to 4299...a little pricey for what you get since most esp models tend to the higher prices in the range

but ibanez is one of the big three like fender and gibson and the vast amount of dealers who have these instruments will alone make them more common and thus more popular

one ibanez model i really like is the talman which comes with single coils, p 90s, or humbuckers, and have a really vintage vibe to them

the ibanez roadstar series have great necks and the expensive joe satriani model is amazing for that really fast stuff

i would like to get to compare the joe satriani model from ibanez to esp's kirk hammett signature model which at 2600, is eleven hundred dollars more than the 1500 dollar joe satriani model...the ibanez plays and sounds really great and i would assume the esp is also amazing

both have high end trems *the esp has the original floyd rose and the ibanez has the recessed pro level edge trem and both have top of the line pickups...and the good thing is that ibanez makes a consumer level joe satriani model for under 1000 and for a little more than that, esp ltd makes two kirk hammett models (with emg 81s and original floyd rose trems)...the consumer models are definitely more in my price range:D

11. howard macrumors 68020

howard

can't say that i've liked any esp guitar that i've tried...and i don't really like the floyd rose system.

you should check out Godin...there guitars are amazing

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

not only are they amazing, the godin guitars are probably the most reasonably priced instruments in the world

canada's other well known maker in that price range, seagull, make totally solid woods acoustics priced better than anybody else

one canadian maker i love is larravie, but their acoustics are so expensive and on the price range of higher end martins and higher end taylors

over the years martin has employed computers to help cut costs but keep the quality consistent and they now have fairly reasonably priced acoustics on the market...unlike one time when all martins were in the higher price range and thus very rarely seen or heard by anybody...of course, during those years, they really did themselves a disservice

one company i can think of now, tom anderson guitars, is the lone holdout in the high price range area

big company makers like hamer, fender, gibson, ovation, esp, ibanez, and many others all make pro level instruments in a very affordable range as well as really expensive stuff if you so desire

13. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i believe seagull guitars are owned by godin. i met Mr. Godin a few times..he takes tremendous pride in his work which is really nice to see. He doesn't pay as much attention it seems to the selling specs..whats selling and what isn't..but at the craftsmanship of the guitars.

i'd have to say that martin is my favorite acoustic...i absolutley love them. there warm sound...fantastic acoustic guitars.

do you know any good classical guitar makers?

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i started playing in august and bought my first electric about a month ago -- a "hot-rodded american fat strat texas special" w/ 2 texas special singles and a seymour duncan humbucker.

i picked it out 'cuz it was easy for me to play, but all my guitar playing friends are drooling over it. so i'm happy. under a grand, too.

(not sure if this image attach is going to work)

Attached Files:

15. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

Any Joe Satriani fans here?

Ibanez is what I play. Joe Satriani uses his custom made JS guitars made by Ibanez and they are amazing. I want to get the JS 1000.

Ibanez JS series

16. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Any Joe Satriani fans here?

oh yeah!!

and hammett and vai, too (both students of joe)

since i don't gig or record anymore and just lounge around the house, i would get the JS-100...assuming i still don't have the esp ltd viper 301...no need to have two electrics when i don't have an amp and i live in a small house ;)

if i was still serious, the JS-1000 all the way with the lo-pro edge trem and dive bomb to rock and roll stardom

the JS-1000 is close to the most perfect guitar dollar for dollar along with the american standard strat and teles...street price about 800-1000 dollars usd

it is both good for high octance metal/punk and for more laid back classic stuff...the dimarzio pickups...one hot and one vintage...offer that balance to cover all areas

and the above strat pictured in a previous post is good, too...under a grand and equipped with a humbucker just in case the gig or session needs to kick into high gear!

i would put the gibson les paul standard on my list but its list price is too high to make it practical for a lot of players and beginners

17. guitargeek macrumors regular

All the high gain pickups you mentioned I don't really care for, either. Try a Dimarzio Evolution, or Tone Zone. They sound completely different from the high gain pickup of old. I have Evolutions loaded in my Hamer, and I love them. However, make sure you put them in a guitar with weight to it, as they rely on the instrument having a bit of beef to it. My Hamer is actually a little too light for them, but I'm happy anyways.

I played an Ibanez with a Tone Zone in the bridge and a Steve's Special in the neck, and it sounded friggin' AWESOME! Very John Petrucci/ Steve Morse like.

I've got a Fender myself, a Roadhouse Strat
    (just like the one posted, but with only single coils and a rosewood fretboard... I can't play a maple fretboard guitar). It sounds great, plays wonderfully, but it's had wiring trouble since day one. The ground wire on the input jack fell off about 3 months after I got it. Shortly after the lead wire fell off. Then the ground wire fell off again. I ended up soldering some little terminals onto the two wires, and then connecting them to the input jack to get it to hold.

Since then, it just doesn't work. Not a problem with the wiring, I don't think, as I took it all apart and it seemed solid. but I plug it in and nothing happens. I can't hear anything. It's like the volume knob is rolled all the way down, but if I heap on tons of gain I can hear the FAINTEST of signals. But for the life of me, I can't figure out what's causing it. I haven't played it for almost two years because of it. :( Oh well, that's what God created coil-taps for :cool:

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my friend recommended rosewood, but this maple one is really easy to play -- it got raves from him (he's been playing 20+ years).

sorry to hear about your wiring probs.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Re: Any Joe Satriani fans here?

case included :)

20. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i used to collect guitars...57 or so over the years...mostly cheap stuff but a few good pieces...and overall, rosewood suits me the best especially if my hands get sweaty...though i noticed now that i have one guitar i am a more consistent player...gee, i wonder why?

but i like the feel of maple and the slightly snappier sound it gives the strings and perhaps to the pickups in a noticeable way...some say the wood matters in the sound of the electric guitar...some say it's the pickups...it definitely is mostly the pickups but the wood that matters most is actually not the body, but the fretboard that seats the frets and gives the string its original vibration pattern...second to the pick and fingers, of course

some attribute a massive guitar body to sustain, but i have met some blues players who can take a strat and make it sustain like a les paul

i have had a vega archtop, high end fender strat, gibson L-6s and a gibson les paul custom and they all had an ebony fretboard on them, but i didn't like the slick feel of the wood...it felt like plastic

even though i enjoy the feel of a vintage maple necked fender, i somehow seem to sound much better on playback when i use a rosewood fretboard fender and i can't pinpoint why that is exactly