Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Relax. Video is just a bonus on the iPod. The content deals Apple are making are what's revolutionary. Since they seem to be doing very well, a bigger screen video device (new iPod family?) will come in 2006.

These other devices may have bigger screens but where's the content?

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
I'm fine with the current screen size. It's fine for watching TV shows, and the whole Ipod isn't too big. If it got too much bigger people would stop carrying it around as much as they do. What the Video Ipods really need is longer life. It's only 2-2.5 hours. This is because of the backlight constantly being on and the hard drive having to spin a lot more. Since batteries are tough to upgrade, why not install 100mb or so of Flash memory instead of just the 8MB buffer (or is it cache, I forget)? It seems to me that this would add to battery time.

freeny

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
virus1 said:
well his point was that apple should branch off and make a video player for those dedicated to video. make it a video player first, and a music player second, but still keep the normal ipod. i think that is the smartest thing to do, and i think that they don't even need a bigger screen. they do, however need a huge batterey life improvement if they were to branch out to a video ipod, because currently a 60GB only lasts for 3 hours of video.
Thank you!:)

For a while there I thought I was speaking a different language.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
My Powerbook serves as useful portable video player when I'm traveling. I can watch a full length movie or anything else comfortably.

I personally don't see the benefit to Apple to produce a portable video player. I guess they see that as one of the features and benefits of their laptops.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
ToastMaster said:
Yeah, but they'd have to probably make a "writing space" like on Palm Pilots so you're not writing (using the Grafitti language or something) on the screen and thus scratching it up with a plastic point.

Not really, you can write on the screen and it will not scratch. As long as Apple does not get cheap on us, again. :rolleyes:

Have you seen what other companies are doing with the Nano and iPod line, they are using a better scratch resistant coating. Apple has just gotten cheap on this regard to boost profits. Surprise. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.