hey cooking for the president of Evergreen

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Feb 5, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

hey I am cooking for the president of Evergreen. He is African American. What is a dish I can make in his culture that is special? He has no food alergies. I would not like it to be something to much, but something special.

2. Cybernanga macrumors regular

You'd have to find out what HE regards as "his culture" first.

"African American" is too vague.

Alternatively, you could prepare something from your own culture.

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah africa is a big continent!!! you could have food from morrocco or stuff from south africa hehe

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

There is a particular sensitivity in the African American community for stereotyping their dietary preferences. I think that if you prepared him so-called "soul food," like collard greens or gumbo or something, he would be grossly offended.

Stick to something that you know how to make that tastes good. This isn't the way to span boundaries.

6. sirius1722 macrumors member

Hmmm, you wouldn't by chance be referring to The Evergreen State College would you? I went there for a year and a quarter a couple years ago, but dropped out and decided to go to a community college instead. The classes were a little too liberal for me and I never really learned anything (except for yoga positions *rolls eyes*). Great people/culture there though. Lots of different backgrounds.

I would say avoid cooking for particular cultures, especially if you don't know specifically what it is, because you might offend him. Is he from Africa or is that just his ethnicity? I say stay safe and just cook something you know how to make well. But that's just my opinion :) Good luck.

7. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I would say cook something that you know has been enjoyed before by others so during dinner you are more engrossed in a stimulating conversation rather than being nervous that your guest will like your food. If the tv show "Married...With Children" has taught me anything (positive), in an episode, Marcy D'Arcy goes out of her way to make sushi and decorate the house in an asian style for her japanese boss. The whole time he sat there wishing he was eating a hamburger. Despite being a fictional show, I am sure that it isn't too far from the truth.

8. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

One of my favorite episodes.

"Who offers someone from Japan sushi? Thats like Gilligan getting off the island and offering him a coconut." :p

9. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

ok please no jokes, I think he is african american, but I would like to cook him something special from africa. And yes, I am cooking for him, I may also do something from my culture, like chow- min, like suggested. I want this to be a special gift to him. The other thing is that, yea I am a student there and just had an interview at the UW, Betty Kutter, whom you posted earlier may have heard of her, she is a phage bacteria person and said that i would be a good radiologist. So I will also go into Radiology, I will work again and try and take classes at discounts later on.

10. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

don't make anything special that would be from his african heritage - you'd be better off finding out where he grew up and see what his preferences would be.

I'd imagine he'd be happy with something you like or consider special - besides, there is so much varied cuisine in Africa, unless you know where he could trace his ties there, you probably wouldn't get it right.

Personally, I love Moroccan tagines - they're not too difficult, have lots of great spices and are quite tasty. But if you did something like this, I would stress the heritage of the meal, which might make for an awkward moment or two.

And I'd also make it once before trying it out on your guest, especially if its something you're not familiar with.

Good luck,

D

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  14. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm a little bit confused...Is he "African American" or an immigrant from Africa?

15. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

hey I am cooking for him, something that is not from his culture, or mine, something from an itialian culture. Lasaniga. A special recipe I made. Something you can not get in the store.

16. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

<quasi-humanist mode="1">
    Eat at the mission, show your humanity. :)

Nobody complains about a free meal.
    </quasi-humanist>

17. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

btw: I think it was Alexander Schauss that said eating card board pizzas would do something. He didn't say what but I found out that it will make you a good cook.

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

?????

19. indifference thread starter macrumors regular