HEY! Games/consoles experts......need a recommendation...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Joeytpg, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

I'm moving to Barcelona/Spain, and will be spending a lot of time on the subway......so i wanted to buy a portable gaming device to keep me busy along with my ipod/books. Ok, so i'm not very good at this, i just have a few computer games and such.

I know that the current portable gaming devices out there today are: PSP, Nintendo DS Lite, what else??

i want something relatively small (nothing bigger than a PSP) i like dif. games such as Sport games (baseball/Basketball) love first person shooters, some strategy..... which portable console do you thing has the most varied games? i've never been a fan of Nintendo, i just don't like the graphics.....and the two screen/touch thing ain't my thing.......so as of now, i'm leaning towards the PSP, anything else? ain't there a cel phone capable of gaming or something?

thanks

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

N-Gage is probably the cellphone with gaming you're thinking of. Don't get it. Don't even look for information on it. It's junk.

I've owned both a PSP and a DS. I should say I owned a PSP and own a DS. The PSP had pretty graphics for sure but that's all it had going for it for me. The little nub on the left side you would use to move would often times hurt my thumb because it was so low. The long load times of certain games was frustrating to the point where I rarely even played some games I bought (Midnight Club Dub Edition for instance). Sure you can hack it for homebrew but I never got into that and I rarely played audio/movies from it as that's not what I bought it for. I ended up selling it.

My DS I've had for a while now and I'll probably be keeping it until DS2 comes out (the DS lite is nice but I have a DS and it works so I'm not upgrading). The load times tend to be quick, the games are fun, and I overall enjoy it. I think the overall consensus of this forum is they like the DS over the PSP although we do have some good folks that like their PSP. It's just not a system for me.

Make a list of games you would like for each system, check out reviews on them, see if you can demo them, and buy the system with the games you like. Pretty graphics or a stylus might be neat, but if there are no games that use that, you won't be playing the system enough to enjoy it anyway.

*pulls the fire alarm preemptively*

3. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Cell phone? No way.

If you're into 3D shooters and action games, the PSP is your best bet as the 3D graphics on the DS are terrible, and the device is geared for kiddie gaming.

But I just read something about EA focusing on the DS over the PSP now because they think it's a better gaming platform. I've had both systems, and if the DS is better, it's only because it's smaller/less clunky and the games are (depending on who you ask) better, so I really don't know what EA is thinking... Tiger Woods Golf would look like crap on the DS.

Personally, I like the DS better, but I don't want to play a Splinter Cell or RTS port on one. The DS only does sprite-based or very simple 3D games well, while the PSP is basically a PS1 you can hold in your hand.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I agree with SilentPanda, the load times on the PSP kill.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would think an RTS would play best on the DS over PSP, PS3, and XBox 360. The ability to use a mouse like interface (stylus) would be by far better.

I guess for me I only play wimpy games on handhelds anyway... if I want a game like Splinter Cell I play it on my TV. In my opinion handhelds should be sprite based 2D games for the most part.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd recommend a GBA Micro. It's little so it wont get in the way of pretty much anything, the games are, IMO, the best of the last 20 years. Cheap and the battery life is pretty much forever and a day.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

7. NeoMac macrumors regular

NeoMac

Get a DS Lite, they have better games. I have both a DS Lite and a PSP and my PSP is collecting dust on a shelf.