hey graphic artists... need some help...

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Feb 15, 2005.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

need your advice, suggestions or tips on the following....

will be doing a cd cover (album art) for a local band...
    what major printer company should i use? like kings or whatnot.
    what does the printer require from me?

also the band wants to have the cd art done on the actual cd to look professional... no in house printing on a paper cd templet thing and stuck on the cd... they want it dont the other way... ink on the cd.... anyone know of anybody that does this kind of stuff? im thinking that maybe some company has a package deal for something like this ... like maybe musicians friend but im not sure.

thanks for any help you are able to provide.

2. bluemonkey macrumors regular

Try this company: OASIS CD

I've heard good things about price & quality. They probably also have artwork standards, too. Use Quark or InDesign to do the layout. Of course, you should do any raster stuff in Photoshop and any vector stuff in Illustrator or Freehand. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then OASIS also has an in-house art department. Maybe you could "farm" the work out to them, mark it up, and collect the profits.

-jason

3. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

thanks man. that is probably what im looking for. since the band im working with is a local band they dont have much money to spend but they want a decent looking package so what package would you suggest? whats the cheapest one... i know its based on quantity and other things... but i saw that they have different cases ... just curious which one is the cheapest.

also.. is 300 the smallest they go? and do they do just two color or just black and white? i know i should ask them this but i'll try here first.

thanks for the link and help man.

4. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yeah, I've had some experience with this. My band put together a CD (<shamless plug> which can be bought on Amazon and iTunes, see sig.</shameless plug>) and so maybe I can help.

What we did was get all our pictures together, allowing some space around the edges for cropping, and then gave it to a professional graphic artist just for formatting. I'm not too sure how to do the formatting on your own, so we just decided to let someone else do it. That only cost something like $50. And as for printing on the actual CD, it's a lot of trouble and doesn't always come out right. The best option is a one or two color CD. Otherwise, it can come out really messy without spending a ridiculous amount of money.