Hey Guys. (iPod questions)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jagsfan6116, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Jagsfan6116 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new here. I am thinking of getting a 5G 30 gig Ipod Video for x-mas. I have been looking at lots of mp3 players, but nothing really stacks up to it. I can't wait to get it. I just have a few questions.

1) If I keep the case that comes with it on should I be fine and not need to get any special cases to prevent scratches?

2) Is putting video and songs on this easy?

3) where the best place to order it from is?

Thank You for your time.

Jagsfan

2. john159 macrumors regular

ok case... you are anal about scratches (hairline and others) i would sugest getting a case... not to many are out yet htough man, i bought the invisible shield for ipod... very good purchase, songs and video transfer is pretty quick with usb 2, and i bought mine at the apple store, but if you want to order it where else besides apple.com/store... i say you just go to the store and buy it so if you have any probelms you can go to the store and talk with them man..

3. Jagsfan6116 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man.. Another thing is I live in Virginia in the US. All the stores around me don't carry the new ipod. I have checked best buy, circuit city, radioshack, and many others. I think the only option is ipod.com.

Thanks,
    Jagsfan

4. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Apple.com is another option. Also, I am sure there is an Apple store somewhere in VA. Go to the store locator section of Apple's website. They will list both resellers and brick and mortar Apple stores.

Good luck and enjoy. You will not regret it. If I had the dough, I would be looking for the video ipod as well.

5. john159 macrumors regular

Virginia

Arlington, Clarendon
    Arlington, Pentagon City
    McLean, Tysons Corner
    Richmond, Short Pump Town Center

http://www.apple.com/retail/

there are a list of 4 stores in va for you... and they cant be more than 2hours away coz VA isnt that big and there are four stores... so just if you want to buy at a store rather than on apple.com/store...

6. Megatron macrumors regular

I second the idea of buying it from an apple retail store. There are several of these in the northern VA area - are you close to there?

And if you are serious about scratches, i'd say buy one of those silicon sleeves that cover the whole thing, screen included. I have a DLO one for my 4G ipod and it covers everything but the clickwheel. I am quite happy with it.

7. Jagsfan6116 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help guys. I am in Sprignfield VA.. that one at tyson's corner is prolly 20 minutes away that should work.

THanks
    Jagsfan

8. the_freddinator macrumors regular

If you buy online you get free laser engraving....That's the only reason I bought mine online.

9. bepster macrumors member

if you are a student or a teacher, you get it cheaper at the apple shop!
    that's pretty sweet, I am a student and by all my stuff at apple.com!

10. JoeKarame macrumors regular

JoeKarame

Putting videos on the thing is incredibly easy - as long as you use Handbrake (or ffmpegx for conversion purposes). Only just begun putting stuff on my iPod, but there's a bizarre sense of excitement when I watch Kill Bill on the small screen...strange really.

11. Simplistic macrumors member

Yeah, man. That's why I ordered mine online, too. Gotta have that extra personal touch to your new iPod.

If you want to start filling up your iPod with really great .mp4 videos, check out Podtropolis.com.

12. Jagsfan6116 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thing is I tried that handbrake program, but that is for mac?? I have a pc?? and the other thing is at apple store.. I go to that school thing, but my school ain't in there.. does it matter what school I use? I am a high school student....?

13. croshtique macrumors 6502

I don't know if it's the same in the USA as in the UK, but "real" (i.e. not online) Apple stores accept Student ID to get the education discount.

14. Jagsfan6116 thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope they do this in the US too. I just got my high school id. I hope they will take it.. I may call before I go... but I may just not have to worry about all of this, and my parents may have it for me on christams day.. maybe already ordered LOL

15. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

I posted that and my thread got locked. :mad: :(