Hey, kids! I'm new!

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Maayan, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Maayan macrumors newbie

Maayan

Hey, guys! I've got a 17" Powerbook G4 (1.33 GHz) running Folding@home for the team -- I often leave it on at night so that I can finish downloading a torrent or two, and that's when Folding gets most of its work done.

Go, team! Go! :-]

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

By folding - do you mean you are using your Mac to power Cancer research computers?

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to the MacRumors folding team Maayan, it's great to have you aboard. Just be sure with your PowerBook that it has good ventilation so that it won't over heat. Fold on my friend. ;)

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If you fold on a laptop, and leave it on all night, make sure it can get rid of it's heat. Some people bought a cooling pad for it.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Where would you suggest getting a cooling pad?

6. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

prop one of its sides up with a small book. Tada!!! instant Cool Pad. This only leaves the back corner touching the desk. :) Its free too.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i would reccomend this because it also pivots and fits nicely in your lap

8. Kelvin macrumors member

Kelvin

Yeah, free and not as effective. Solid to solid conduction (especially with the right materials) is WAY more efficient than solid to gas + radiation. Once the air under your laptop heats up enough, you're going to get reduced cooling anyways (assuming poor circulation).

My suggestion would be to get yourself one of those hightech composite cooling pads.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Although the commercial cooling pads are the best solution, using 1 heat resistant object of cubical dimensions under each of the 4 corners should be sufficient to allow circulation of air and a level environment for the drives.

10. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

I have a fan on the ibook at night as a precaution to solve that problem.
    Even though, without using an exterior fan the ibook has never turned on its little fan. I know the fan works too b/c it comes on when ever I fold and play back a DVD simultaneously. I've stopped doing that. :)