Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I got an old P3 server and I like the layout here. I just wanna do a local event site. Give me some help on where to go to get the same software.

Thanks,
Shu

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I got an old P3 server and I like the layout here. I just wanna do a local event site. Give me some help on where to go to get the same software.

Thanks,
Shu

This forum uses vBulletin. If you scroll down to the bottom of any page it also says the forum software version.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
vBulletin is sophisticated and robust, but isn't free. If you want software that's free, you'll have to pick from among other choices, like Vanilla and phpBB. It's worth keeping in mind that forum packages differ not only in features but also in browser compatibility, general level of support, promptness of bug fixes, vulnerability to hackers, and so on.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
vBulletin is sophisticated and robust, but isn't free. If you want software that's free, you'll have to pick from among other choices, like Vanilla and phpBB. It's worth keeping in mind that forum packages differ not only in features but also in browser compatibility, general level of support, promptness of bug fixes, vulnerability to hackers, and so on.

Don't forget punBB!

not sure why I got so excited posting that

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
I know this is a little outside the topic, but how much server muscle (processor, mem, hard drive space, number of units) is needed to run something as big as macrumors. Its not exactly youtube, but you do allow PMing and attachments.

Also, I just want to experiment with something local and to learn. Is there an outside cheap service for me to use to get it started (not using my own server, program)?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know this is a little outside the topic, but how much server muscle (processor, mem, hard drive space, number of units) is needed to run something as big as macrumors. Its not exactly youtube, but you do allow PMing and attachments.

Also, I just want to experiment with something local and to learn. Is there an outside cheap service for me to use to get it started (not using my own server, program)?

The site runs on 3-4 servers. Really 3 is probably absolutely necessary. The 4th handles some overflow stuff.

1 server = MacRumors.com
1 server = Forums (PHP)
1 server = MySQL Server
1 server = guides, attachments

I don't recall all the specs offhand. The MySQL server has the most ram and a SCSI RAID 5.

If you just want to start a small forum youself, you don't need dedicated servers. Just a hosting account that lets you run scripts and use mysql.

arn

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Thanks,
Someone just gave me an old P3 server they had because I wanted to do a fileserver or maybe play with a website/bb. But after playing around with it, I realize that I don't need this level of hardware right now. So if anyone has any recs on where to host simple site/board and play/learn, I would appreciate it.

I am about to just put this guy up on craigslist for free to a school or a church. By the time I really need this thing, I think it will be too old. At least at the rate I have been learning lately!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

It depends on the volume of traffic. If it is just you experimenting the whole thing could run on just a Macbook and it would appear to be very, very fast. But add 1,000 users and your little MB would die or at least appear to be dead to your users. But for development and testing you can run everything on just a 1Ghz Pentium using a UNIX-like OS (Linux, BSD or Solaris) (with about 1GB RAM) and it will be snappy fast. A MB would be even faster.

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Quite a few shared web hosts these days provide one-click installs of basic forum (bb) software.

I haven't heard too much about them, but Jconserv appears to be a decent free forum hosting provider, which might be the best way for you to learn. Doing a quick Google search, it appears there are quite a few others out there.

ASO and Dreamhost are both decent paid hosting services, and aren't too expensive.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ASO gets mostly good reviews, especially for customer service. I've seen mixed reviews of Dreamhost in these forums, especially for use with a forum system, so if you are shopping for a host, search these forums and read some threads about those and other choices.

daze

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2006
San Jose, California
ASO gets mostly good reviews, especially for customer service. I've seen mixed reviews of Dreamhost in these forums, especially for use with a forum system, so if you are shopping for a host, search these forums and read some threads about those and other choices.
I second that. Go for ASO.

Zargot

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Texas
I'd like to know how to hide post counts like Macrumors does. I'm an admin on another site running vBulletin (not Apple related) and would really like to implement this in an attempt to keep nonsensical posts to a minimum.

Anyone have a link or a how-to? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.