Hey Mr. Anderson....The New Canon 20D SLR

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moxiemike, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Canon has an apple-like slip up:

http://www.usa.canon.com/templatedata/pressrelease/genhtml_photo/delphotokit_EOS20D.dcr.html

This isn't released yet, but they exposed pics and some specs. 8.2mp and 5fps. $1600 list price. Not a bad camera... except it's a canon... and i'm sponosored by Nikon. ;)

Interesting machine though...That lens could be a killer... 17-85 with USM and Image Stabilization. But why, oh why, does canon give lenses in this range (mid-grade consumer) such high minimum apertures? f4.0-5.6 isn't enough to do ANY kinda of low light properly. Kinda sucky. At this rate, Nikon's 18-70 3.5-4.5 is a better deal.

I guess we'll just have to see what happens with this cam--expect announcement tomorrow.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sorry, I'm not sponsored by Nikon, so I'll get excited about this - my new camera :D

WooHoo! Thanks for the heads up.

All that aside, it will be interesting to see the reviews on the thing....its been a bit of a wait on the 10D replacement. So what the official release date?

D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That is a sweet camera. $1600 is out of my range, but oh my.

BTW, this was also picked up by Gizmodo.

4. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I've heard end of week. So like,. 8.20. I'm definitely curious to see how the 8.2mp performs in a consumer end camera. They did nicely with the 1ds but the 1d mk II seems to be a bit of a noise dog.

Wonder if this will impact Nikon's D200 and D2x releases....

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, the noise issue will be interesting - really looking forward to the dpreview on this one. And I have to agree with you on the lens, it might be nice, but the light is a little on the low side....might end up going with the body only and getting the Sigma Lens instead. We'll see after the review.

D

6. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Sigma recently released a 18-50 f2.8

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/Html/news/News.htm

Preliminary reviews are good. AND it's under $400. No IS, so just skip that last cup of coffee before you go out shooting and you'll be fine. ;)

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's fantastic! But in reality, with a SLR, how useful is IS? Its not video and if you're careful enough, you can get your shot. My only concern is if it would play into the auto focusing....

D

8. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

That lens is gonna be great. I guess IS is useful for lazy people who don't want to carry a tripod. That said, IS would have come in handy last summer in DC. Right? ;)

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

mabe, but with 5 frames a second and a 25 frame buffer I think you are easily compensated :D

I don't do much action photography, so I take time to set up my shots. I'm really looking forward to that camera. Since I've moved out to Indiana, I've been seeing so many great shots - photo fodder as I've started calling them. It will be quite nice :D

D

10. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

True. The funny thing is, IS doesn't work well for most action photography. I had the Nikon 70-200 and shot some lacrosse with it, and it didn't help much. Now, water sports like surfing, where the photog is on a boat? Sure. But for the most part, I can get similar IS results if just use great technique or a tripod.

Figure this, If you had a condition in sports where you'd need IS (slow shutter speed) you'd STILL get crappy pics, because the people are moving!

So IS to me seems like more marketing hype and something that appeals all the weekend warriors who are too lazy to carry around a decent tripod. ;)

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sort of what I was thinking - it makes sense in video and people are keyed in on the terms sometimes. Who knows, there might have been a study group somewhere that sat people down and asked them which lens would they buy, the one with IS or the one without....part of the more-is-better philosophy that detracts from the actual usefulness of the thing.

D

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sounds awesome, but I hate technology lol. They keep making my camear look more and more outdated

13. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Exactly. I've answered more questions than i want to admit about why someone's IS shots of their kid's sporting event are blurry. I've had people say they're gonna switch from nikon to canon or vice versa based on this.

"X Company's IS doesn't work. I'm switching"

What i'm interested in is Minolta's IS system, which is on the CCD itself.
    That actually looks like it might have the making of something extra special. ;)

I'd possibly trade a few MP for something like that....

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's damn funny - but the gizmodo article is still there...I wonder if canon legal will be asking them to pull it :D

D

15. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Sweet! Now I can afford a 10D! :D
    Well, I still have a full semester until I can even start taking the photgraphy classes. But man, my drawing class is going to suuuuuuuck

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I was just in beautiful Warsaw, Indiana the past couple of days - some good opportunity for nature shots, for sure...

This camera does sound nice - I've been looking to grab a digital SLR and had been looking at the Canon EOS-300D or 10D. This looks like it might make me wait - especially if street price does indeed come in around $1,300, which isn't too far off the 10D.

17. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    WOOHOO!!!! yeah baby!!!

this is what i've been waiting for! that along with my new epson pro 4000, i'll be making my own art for my new apartment walls :D

I better get an order in quick before they all go! the 4000 was a bitch to find...

i'm so excited, and i just can't hide it, i'm about to lose control, and i think i like it! ;)

18. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

since when? how come? what about your lovely house in old town? argh!?

i've been seeing sooo much "canon fodder" up here too since i moved out of nyc, it's so gorgeous in upstate ny, i'm gonna need some biiiig memory cards

19. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

some places are taking pre-orders. check dpreview.com in the canon forums

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The house in Old Town is on the market - hoping to sell it soon. Been in Indiana about a month or so, got a great home on a lake, 4000 sqft, 3 car garage, so much different and better than what we had in DC, but so much cheaper :D

As for why? My wife got an offer she couldn't refuse. That was about the only thing that would have made us pack up the Queen Family Truckster and move to Indiana :D

D

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, its official, sort of :D

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04081909canon_eos20d.asp

but images are being held back till Monday, the 23rd. So I'm wondering if its not going to be on sale/available till Monday....

If anyone sees this for sale anywhere, let me know, I really want to buy one soon :D

dpreview is saying 1499 for body and 1599 with the stock lens....I don't know, the extra 100 might be an ok price to pay for that lens. Any thoughts?

D

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

100 bucks for a decent multi-purpose lens sounds like a fairly good investment, especially for someone like me who doesn't have other lenses laying around.

Eventually I'd like to branch out into higher quality, specialized lenses (telephoto, low light, etc.), but it's hard to turn down that deal. Especially for someone who'd only just above the amateur level.

I'd originally looked at the 300D, which is less expensive, but this has some nice features that might make it worth the extra $$.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I know the feeling about housing prices here in the DC area. There was a job offer out in the Ranson, WV area. Looking at what some homes out there, we would be living like kings with lower home costs. My only comment was that any place he wants to move to has to have cable modem access, or DSL.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Shooting Raw and jpg at the same time is fantastic. And it shoots the jpg at full 8.2 meg down to 1 Meg or so - 6 settings to choose from. And no loss of performance. This is something you only saw in the high end cameras :D

Great if you want create web images/thumbs without going through all conversion.

Chip: Two things for me, digital cable and ultimate frisbee - they have it both here.

D