hey school kids...is summer getting boring yet?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i remember when i lived at home...summer came in early june and i was happy to see nearly three months away from school

but by late july, i was so bored out of my skull and by august, i was counting the days until school would be in session again

of course, that was many years ago before computers and a lot of other things

...are summers still "boring";)
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    interesting question; the answer is yes and no. I'm loving this summer, i'm online too much, i'm sleeping in and i'm working and i'm earning money. Its pretty fun and i'm trying ot hang out with as many of my friends as possible before i leave for college. On the other hand I cna't wiat to move out and i'm counting the weeks right now until I get to do so.
  3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Re: hey school kids...is summer getting boring yet?

Yes summers are still boring, but we now have all the internet or online gaming so not as much.

But anyway 2 days a week I have a job (6 hour or more day)... :)
  4. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    hellllllllllllllll no!

I probably feel this way because I took that dreaded dual credit class ><.

5. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    Not at all. This year I have a job, and takes a lot of time from me. Some long lost realitives (sp?) are in town for a while (one of them is sick) and I'm actually involved in making movies with my friends this summer (I'm writing the scripts.) I'm alos trying to spend as much time as I can with one close friend of mine, since he's going to college early. This summer is great so far, which is very different than years past.

In fact, I have two page long list of stupid crap i want to do this summer.

one of them involves typing like this on the boards from now on. the shift keys screw me up. (clumsy typist :D )
  6. kishba macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2001
    your summer sounds like how the beginning of my summer went.

now, though, with 2 jobs (and i'm still making less than i did last year... grr) i just come home and watch the summer slide by. i'm lazy, but still stressed. i began the summer by listing everything i needed to finish before leaving for college, but i don't feel motivated to finish the list.

blech. soon i'll be wishing for summer again ;)
  7. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    Summer? Boring?! Not really. ;)

Between life-guarding, college apps, and chasing attractive female life-guards around the pool, I don't see how I could be bored. ;)
  8. Jerry Spoon macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Jan 8, 2002
    Historic St. Charles
    All right, I'm not a student, but as a teacher and a person who gets 30 years (plus the 17 total years I was a student-47 total) of "summers off", I'm voting a resounding "no!" I enjoy teaching, but I couldn't do without my summers, and I enjoy every day until I walk back into my school.
  9. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    I must say that while i'm not doing anything spectacular for the summer ,i'm enjoying it all the same.
    I'm working in the hospital as a porter and while i should be working all week i've only worked about 3 days a week for the past month(except on one occasion when i worked mon-sat). I suppose i'm more of a freelance porter but the best thing is that i'm still making more money than when i worked all week every week last summer.
    This extra free time allows me to go out and indulge in my newly adopted hobbies digital photography and climbing.
  10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

Jan 5, 2003
    Nope, this summer really isn't boring. I have a part-time job that I work at a few days a week, and the internet, so I usually don't get bored. :D
  11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002

But there are also exciting times even with class being out, such as trying to visualize the rotation of a hypercube.

I downloaded a 400KB video about it and ended up sleeping with a bottle of Excedrin.
  12. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Not in the least.

I'm actually busier now that I was during the school year. Between doing research, studying for my MCAT, going dancing with hot girls :), and my occasional macrumors fix, I have about 5 hours left for sleep. Please don't let it end! :D
  13. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    of course not...i get to see josh and a whole bunch of my friends every day @ eep :p
    on the other hand...my classes are okay...but not exciting
  14. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2003
    summer's boring, esp since I don't have my PC anymore so there's less for me to troubleshoot...
  15. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    yeah, and wait until you get into advanced/grad/med school...you will be even busier

not that you won't have free time to do stuff, but when you enter studies for an advanced degree, it's not just about passing anymore, you are in a class where almost everybody was the best student in their undergrad classes and everyone pushes each other to go way beyond what is expected by the teacher...nobody cruises by on that level and for many, the extra mile becomes fun and their studies become their life for however many years they are in grad school

so the dancing with hot girls thing will have to be put on the back burner :p
  16. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Summers were never boring. I always dreaded going back to school!
  17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    hey wdlove, i notice your avatar says contributor

is that a new thing?
  18. MacManDan macrumors 6502

Apr 11, 2003
    I only have one boring thing about my summer .... my job. It's really boring.

Besides that, I'm keeping busy trying to keep stuff working. Like my PowerBook. I just sent it in because the hard drive failed. I got it back, and started restoring everything .. and I got a flashing question mark on the 3rd restart. It refuses to boot, and it doesn't see any installations on the hard drive. I tried to reinstall Jaguar, but the hard drive does not show up when the time comes to choose the disc to install to. Formatting hangs, and partitioning fails on "Unmounting disk" Gotta wait for my AppleCare enrollment to come in so I can give these guys a call (w/o being charged $50) and yell at them for not really fixing it. :(

Hm . .and my car speakers don't play music even though the radio is outputting sound (I think the amp died .. blah)

But my Gamecube is keeping me busy when I'm not feeling sorry for myself cuz nothing works. :D I have lots of trips planned too .. I just came back from Dallas this weekend (seeing girlfriend's family), and I have a Colorado trip and AZ trip (two separate trips) planned for August before I head back to school. And of course, having a girlfriend, she keeps me busy as well .. ;) :eek: :D

Boring? nah .. I wish I was. Sometimes its good to be bored.
  19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    hah. where have you been old man??? ;)

it's been there for a month or so i'd say.

it's instead of "demi-god"
  20. dreamlance macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2002
    wouldn't you like to know?
    I'm a college school kid - do I count? :p Nah summer school, all the glorious monotony of it, keeps me happy in day-dreamland. Although I would like a few days to just sleep.
  21. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    Presuming it is summer in America now, it's currently winter in Australia
    So sub Summer with Winter:

Nah, not boring, just frustrating! :D
    I'm currently designing a website (www.another35mm.com) and there are many hassles, ie webspace, frames, etc..

I'm about to go away for 8 weeks for a school resididential program...
  22. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I haven't had the summer off in years now, between summer jobs and real job...it's funny, but I still sit here at my desk every summer and get the feeling that I should be somewhere...else. Just like I do every time it snows. :)

If I could just stop whittling my vacation days away on piddling chore-type stuff and scrape together enough to do some of the stuff I never have time for: play with Linux, try out Konfabulator, clean the house, finish altering that velvet thing, make some Rennfair garb other than what I've worn every year for the past five....man. I gotta learn to manage my time better.

But, things being as they are, summer is just....hot.
  23. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    No offense, pops, but I have to agree with duke's statement from page 1 in the AP scores thread. :D :eek:

There is also this thing called a date beside the status. Each date is a deadline for when you have to contribute.

You'll noticed that many different users have different deadlines. Your first deadline is located by my current status... :D
  24. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Well its not boring as long as my dad does not pester me about my stupid AP summer assignments. Summer assignments have to the evilist thing ever devised, you leave school but they still hit you with homework.
    Except War 3 TFT has made my summer lots of fun, except for my dam 16mb vid card the game is fun:)
  25. donigian macrumors regular

Apr 23, 2003
    Washington, DC, USA
    My summer's going well. I have some big @ss summer reading assignments for AP English next year. Plus, unfortunately, school starts on August 11. Sucks for me.