Hey Shuffle owners would you be interested in...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iRez, Mar 7, 2005.

1. iRez macrumors member

Feb 19, 2004
    Shuffle owners would you be interested in buying stickers to cover up your iPod shuffle's with that don't leave any residue at all in different colors and graphics. I work for a label company based in Los Angeles, and really think this idea could take off but need some thought on what actual consumers would think of it. I got the idea from this thread Shufflemint. I'm a budding graphic designer and am really looking forward to making these if there indeed is a market for it. There would be plenty of options on what it would look like, ranging from a bunch of different graphic designs to your everyday run of the mill solid colors. Let me know if this is something worth pursuing or not...any and all opinions are appreciated.
  2. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    i really like that idea. i would definately be interested.

how much?
  3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, these things always depend on cost. I don't own a Shuffle, but if I did, I wouldn't want to be spending huge amounts of cash if the Shuffle only cost me $100.
  4. blueflame macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2003
    Studio City

i like it, sign me up for one with another design.
  5. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    check out ipodlounge.com for products that are out. i know i have seen something similar to this already. but i do not know if it as high quality as you might produce! i think there is a market for them as long as the price is right. i wouldnt mind having something like this for a little shuffle protection. but i have never personally decided if a sticker would make the iPod look cheap or somehow take away from the 'look' of the iPod.

you could always just produce custom printable sticker cut/outs. where the consumer can print their own design on your pre-fit shuffle stickers!
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Here is the link to a thread on the company that currently does this.... if their level of complexity seems commensurate with what you want to do, maybe you can inquire about having them sell your art on your behalf? At least before, they were looking for artists. :) This would save you the hassle of contracting manufacturing, and so on.

EDIT: also this site: http://www.decalgirl.com/ -- she does not have many Shuffle stickers yet, but a wide variety of other kinds too. And is definitely soliciting artists. :)
  7. iRez thread starter macrumors member

Feb 19, 2004
    I work in a label company so I'd have my boss (aunt) back the initial setup costs, and it seems that my boss is interested in the idea. We'd also be able to cut the costs since everything is being done in house. We're even able to make cusomizable "skins" for each individual customer, all we would need was the artwork from the customer and then run it through. I'm going to give this a go, as a 22 year old college student, any money I could make on the side of where I work now would be welcomed. Hope to show you guys the concepts on a website soon, but first I have to find a company willing to buy these things in bulk so that I don't sit on the costs for too long, ie. if I get a company to buy these from me where I could make an immediate profit or close to costs so that I could justify selling these things one by one over the web. Here's hoping all goes well!!!
  8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    i would be interested in those skins. the reason i didn't buy them yet is that a) not enough interesting themes
    b) a skin is 3-5 dollar, shipping is ~5 dollar.

if you sell cool sets of five or so for ~15 dollar including shipping via ebay (maybe somebody would like to include your skins in his or her ebay store. i prefer paypal over giving away my credit card number) we have a deal. if you're skins are somehow special (personalized artwork, skin covers the sides or the buttons) i'd pay more.

key is that you produce good quality and new, fresh and cool artwork. you also have to act fast. others have the same idea.