Hey, skunk!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Desertrat, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Chuck Butler of www.everbank.com said in his newsletter that Blair has called for a referendum on joining into eurocurrencyland. Butler further sez that a resounding "No!" vote would hurt Blair's chances of re-election.

Do you concur with this conclusion?

'Rat

2. toontra macrumors 6502

The referendum is to be held after the next election to avoid that very outcome. Blair may be deceitful but he's not stupid!

3. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I thought we were having a referendum about the European constitution.

4. toontra macrumors 6502

I presumed that's what 'Rat was referring to - unless there are more referenda on the way!

5. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

yeah, i got the impression that 'rat meant joining the euro ("eurocurrencyland").

btw toontra, I did a quick search and found a UK forum that seemed interesting so that I could maybe discuss some politics more relevant to us, and thus learn something about our own system instead of worrying about the US all the time. However what I discovered was shocking.

click here for a thread

6. toontra macrumors 6502

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think I prefer it here after all!

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

'Rat, to be clear, this is a referendum on a new Constitution for the enlarged EU. To be frank, nobody here knows the first thing about what is proposed, as the debate is dominated by obfuscation and spin to the exclusion of any facts. As others have pointed out, Bliar has ensured by this tactic that the Conservatives can no longer point to their own support for a referendum being a reason to vote for them, while the actual vote, if any, will be postponed until safely after the election, after parliament has had its own debate. Quite neat footwork, really.

9. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

check it again, its really funny, There is some twisted stuff on there, the guy is fighting back! And I named myself "ashamedtobebritish" in homage to him.

10. Desertrat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, guys.

One thing I strongly believe: If there's lots of obfuscation from the politicos in favor, the proposal is bad. The converse is not necessarily true...:)

'Rat