hey there, just wanted to know... How much ram is enough for osx?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sevag1, Apr 15, 2002.

1. sevag1 macrumors member

I currently have 512... i had 640.. but the 128 that came with my comptuer was conflicting with my 512 ram ... so... is 512 MB ram enough in osx? how much do you guys have??

-sev

p.s. i just converted to OSX from os9, and boy do i love it.. just wish the games would run as smooth as they did in os 9 :)

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

512 should be fine for most tasks...
    OS X is happier the more RAM you feed it...so max it out if you can. :D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

re: RAM

one thing I've learned about OS X is...it loves RAM!!!

512 is fine...I'm sure it would run even smoother with more...but I doubt u will notice the difference with the extra 128...

I have 384...it runs well...but I just know it could run better with a replacement of my 128 with a 512...he he he :p

4. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

768MB - but I know it wants more! Damn it for only having 3 slots! I've got another 128 (Apple Memory at that!) wating in the wings...

5. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

I got 576megs of ram(2x 256 1x 64) and the G4 is only 400 Mhz. But it runs pretty fast, and that is good enough since I don't do much processor intensive junk.

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Re: hey there, just wanted to know... How much ram is enough for osx?

What is the sound of one hand clapping?

How much is enough RAM for OS X?

Grasshopper, there can be no calculating the RAM OS X can consume just as there can never be a large enough iPod.:D

The answer is: Always more than you have.

I have 1024Mb.........If OS X apps could be set the way 9 apps could it'd be a whole lot simpler. As it is there can never be enough RAM.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

My TiBook has a full GB of RAM, and it hums along nicely. My previous tower had 1.5GB of RAM, and even though it was a G4 500MHz (single, AGP graphics model) it moved right along as well. I think 1GB should be enough for most things, with more being better :D. There are a few things in life you can almost never have (or get) enough of... RAM, hard drive space, money, and sex , and not necessarily in that order. :D

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have 1024MB of RAM in my PowerMac as well. And OS X runs perfectly fast and smooth.

I would say for an absolute minimum, get 256MB, that is, if you are not willing to go about the rising prices of RAM :) Your best bet is half a gig.

Now since the Powerbook G4 512MB RAM chips are ridiculously overpriced, you might want to try and find an excellent deal on those chips.

Now, this may shock a few people, but I had OS X 10.1 up and running on a 233MHz iMac with only 64MB of RAM! I could do just about anything (very slowly), except load OS 9 and connect to the internet.

Again, get a half gig, if you can.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

9. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i love having lots of ram

(grins as he looks at "About this Mac" and sees 1.5 GB)

:D :D :D

10. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i'm using osx on a tibook w/ 384 MB. For most things it runs just fine, but open up more than 3 apps at a time and you'll probably notice a slowdown.

As has been said, time and time again, X can never have enough ram. It'll take all you can throw at it, and then come back for more.

11. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

I have to think there is a law of diminishing returns with ram for a given set of consumer applications. That is to say doubling your ram from 128 to 256 will have more of an impact than going from 1024 to 1152. Having said that, more is better, but i would like to see a graphical representation of a measureable performance paramter as a function of ram. I bet the performace would approach a limit at some point.

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

512MB

You need atleast 512MB if you want to run pretty smooth. I have 768MB (1X256MB and 1X512MB).
    I mean, my dad has a powerbook g3 500 pismo with 384MB of ram, running OS X. We stuck a 512MB chip in there, and...vuala! It runs wayyyy faster. And, the answer to your question....

The more the better!

13. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'm not surprised about the iMac running OS X with only 64MB. I put the public beta on a tangerine iBook and it ran with only 96MB pretty well. I think I was able to use classic, but in only a limited fashion.

OS X is a strong enough OS that it can run on almost any of the supported systems, but to get the best performance from it, you need the newer ones. I would venture to say that any G4 processor with 512MB+ of RAM would perform pretty well. Add more memory and the performance will go up. Go to a faster chip and, well, you get the idea. :D

Personally, I haven't used OS X on any G3 other then that iBook, so I don't know how well it performs on them. I would venture to say that it would be acceptable for most people, with the power users wanting more. But then again, we always do :D

14. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I've got 640mb on an iMac 600 (G3) and the performance difference between it and the original 128mb is huge! Yeah..but I would recommend 512 at least.

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

128MB: It will run. It will swap. You will curse.

256MB: Kind of the entry level for comfortable usage. Don't try Virtual PC.

512MB: Threshhold beyond which you don't really have to be too concerned.

Beyond 512 it comes down to "how much can you afford?" You will probably continue to see benefits from more RAM all the way up until you max out the system. UNIX systems are like that.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well damn...

after reading some of the specs here...

I'm feeling a bit inadequette... :(

17. sevag1 thread starter macrumors member

okie, gonna get another 512 mb chip this coming weekend.. :) thatll total out to 1024 mb ram.. :) yay

18. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I've got 384MBs...

...on a beige G3 233 and I occasionally have something like this:

Bryce 5 rendering a scene in the background
    3 pages loading in IE on a cable modem
    talking to two people on AIM
    two terminal logins
    mail
    system prefs

It slows down some, but still does a pretty decent job. Every time I've checked since I went from 128 to 384 I've had 0 pageouts. Obviously I'd like a G5, but my G3 does a pretty damn good job considering it's ~4 years old.

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: well damn...

Don't feel bad, you still have the most posts! :D

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: well damn...

Yeah, until his GF takes the computer away from him for a while... like THAT would ever happen. :D At least he has one... *grumble*

21. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Re: Re: Re: well damn...

Hahahah, that is pretty funny. I believe she has a PeeCee. Sooo...Eye...I think we need you to "pursuade" her into a new mac! C'mon buddy, lets get back to 5% of the market!

22. atodd macrumors member

I discovered that OS X will run on (gasp) 96MB of RAM! (i have 128)

I need more memory, or I will die.

<pulls own head off:mad:

23. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That's going to be a rough relationship... she will probably try to control/alt/delete him a somepoint to try and wake him up... :D or to get him to do something via the task manager... ouch

I am a firm believer that EVERY house should have at LEAST one Mac in it. I am doing my part... although I do have the peecee too... for recreational purposes only, except when my TiBook is at Apple :(.. I hope they ship it back tomorrow, so that I have it for Wednesday. I miss the little space heater :D.

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

It will also run with just 64MB, just don't try and run the Classic mode... cause it probably won't.

OS X is a very robust system, and can do more then you think. But, it also benefits from as much RAM as you can toss it's way. Sucks it up like you wouldn't believe, well, some of us would. Those are the ones with between 512MB and 1.5GB of RAM in our Mac's :D.

25. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Macs

Put aside the 10 macs at my house now, I am going to be getting a few more! My school used to use macs back in the mid 80s to mid 90s. I think they are converting to PCs, so those macs are going to have a new home!
    I know they have about 4 Apple III computers, a few color classics, some classics, a few II si/gs/xi and a lot of other macs! WHOOPI for me!