Hey, what IS this anyway?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've seen it in e-mails, and I'm seeing it in blogs -- text like this:

Excuse a dumb question, but what the heck is this, and what is the purpose behind it? Is it some kind of automated keyword-stuffing software (that is, designed to stuff certain keywords into blocks of otherwise random text)? If so, then what is the point? If not, then what is it?

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

reminds me of newspeak :p
    anyway, it looks like a spammer just sending a random email that won't get caught by spam filters to make sure your email address is a real one. i could be wrong though.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its garbage? :D :p

i don't understand spammers these days. they are fighting a losing war in my opinion, even though they'll never be totally gone.... their influence and tactics are starting to fail if you as me.

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

5. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well...I'll acknowledge the influence that e e cummings has had on aol-speak (lol, wft, etc.), but I'm not sure that's the answer there. ;)

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My guess is that it's random bits of text from real discussions, and its purpose is to prevent spam-prevention tools from recognizing the message as spam. I would therefore except to see it accompanying a real bit of spam, advertising something and giving a link.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Looks like it could be a new technique of spammers...send out enough of those emails to totally throw off "smart" spam filters so they can slipstream their spam right into your inbox! :p

The majority of spam I get looks like this in the body anyway....is this supposed to mean anything?

8. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

BTW, here is the actual site from which I got that garbage text, so you can see it in context.

It does look like a spam site -- look at all the times it uses the words "truck driving job".

But what the heck is the point of it? Okay, so it leads anyone searching Google for a "truck driving job" to this page...but what then? It doesn't seem to link to anything that involves truck driving jobs.

The only purpose I can see for this site is that it is some kind of a decoy. Perhaps somebody wants to lower the Google ranking of a competing site that actually does feature truck driving jobs. So, they put up this spam page with a lot of gobbledygook, along with the words "truck driving job" thrown in a bunch of times, to fool the Googlebot into ranking this higher, and the competition lower. At which point I suppose the spammer could change the content of this page to something genuine which would point to his company.