"Hey Ya" still #1?!?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by sethypoo, Jan 12, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Wow, the song Hey Ya by Outkast has been #1 forever on the iTunes Music Store! It gets crazy radio play here in northern California all the time, does anyone else hear this song everywhere?

It's not getting old yet, I wonder when it will.....hmm.

I think, (correct me if I am wrong) that this is the longest a song has spent as #1 on the iTMS charts.

Wow.

Seth

2. macrumors G3

3. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Luck you!;)

4. macrumors G3

it sounds sh*t just from the title... is it?? :eek: :p

5. macrumors newbie

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

It's a great song. The lyrics are so-so, but the riffs in that piece as great, they show real talent (of whoever wrote that song).

iGav- listen to the song before you judge it.

Yep! Norah Jones is #1!

I think Hey Ya will come back though.

7. macrumors G3

taking your advice... I just have.... and I wish I hadn't... :eek: :p :p

8. macrumors 68000

latergator116

hehehe... isn't it horrible?

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

I still disagree! Listen to the riffs, and the bass line, it's really great stuff. Well developed.

Genius if you ask me, up there with Sly and the Family Stone.

Everyone's a critic.....:rolleyes:

10. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Maybe I am a little bias, because I have heard it so many times and it is just plain annoying now and it is hard for me to judge it fairly.

Even though, I still think it is an annoying sing.

11. macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

Considering most of the genre of 'hip hop' pushes my definition of 'song' by a strong amount I'm not a fan of this one at all.

12. macrumors 6502

Always love the 1-5-4 rockers who have been doing the same thing since the 50s saying hip-hop isn't good music.

Verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus...

Yeah, okay.

13. macrumors 6502a

Trekkie

hey now, I don't remember stating I liked the 1-5-4 as you put it method of singing either.

But least they don't take someone elses music and ruin it by talking over it. :p (that was meant as a joke, not a slam)

14. macrumors regular

"Hey Ya!" is quite great - it sounds straight out of the 60's. Just because it's by Outkast, a group (or rather person, as I believe "Hey Ya!" is an Andre 3000 solo song) normally associated with hip hop music, does not necessarily mean the song is a hip hop song. It sounds like a 60's pop song to me, not really like anything Outkast has done before, and certainly not at all like hip hop.

15. macrumors newbie

I agree with you, it's a nice song!!!!

16. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, nice to hear we're not all living in the past....chuckle chuckle.

That, too, was meant as a joke.

17. macrumors G3

I don't believe it... everytime I switch on a music channel now (MTV, MTV2, VH1, VH2, Magic, TMF, The AMP, Q, etc etc) it's on ALL of the f**kin' time... :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

It's karma.... bad karma... I should have just said I loved it, and then it would never have got played like the rest of the stuff I like... :p :p :p

18. macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

Yes, very much so. It is a song I've always hated, but everyone and their grandma play it on the radio. Because it gets so much airtime, I find it getting stuck in my head. What a nightmare!

19. macrumors 604

scem0

This song sucks...

Outkast is being praised for being original and inventive with their music and style, but I think their music is just annoying, and their style is just...... blah.

Missy Elliot has an awesome, unique style as well as inventive, awesome music. She deserves all the praise.

scem0

20. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

way overplayed, not all that good- sounds like all the other hippity-hoppity stuff to me

21. macrumors 6502

Months before outkast released their album last summer, Andre sent out the single to a bunch of rock radio stations all around the nation. He didnt let any of the stations know he wrote it, just included the name of the song. I think 90% of the stations played it, not knowing it was produced by Andre (who played most of the instruments on his cd himself).
    While it's not an original sound, i think outkast is a great group, consistantly pushing the bounds of Hip-hop. Missy is ok, she's had a lot of help from Timb. as far as lyrics and beats. But she is not that original, and doesnt push the limits and take Hip-Hop into new sub genre's. I'd rather listen to her than a lot of new stuff coming out, it's all the same stupid look at all my money/cars/jewelry ish@!

22. macrumors member

I walk into college, the radio is on, and I can guarantee you throughout the day, it will be played like 5 times. :mad: I dislike.

23. macrumors member

24. thread starter macrumors 68000

Ya'll don't know what you're talking about. I love that song still!

Sad to see it's off the iTMS Top Ten list (it's #15 right now).

25. macrumors 6502a

The only reason why people that listen to hip-hop or rap think that Outkast and Hey Ya! Are genius are beacause they just listen to the **** that it played on the radio and on iTMS. Not what the "underground" Rap and hip-hop DJ's are spinnin' for decades.

IMHO I still don't see how ANY friggin' part of this song is in anyway "genius, revolutionary" or any differnent than the main stream stuff we are all bombarded on the radio with day after day.