Hezbollah finally justifies the war.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Sep 2, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Apparently the key prisoner, on whose account Hezbollah plunged Lebanon into war, is...Samir Qantar, who is serving four life sentences for murder and terrorism.

He was involved in an attack on an Israeli family that involved smashing the skull of a four year old with a rifle butt after shooting her father dead. Not exactly a 'political prisoner' is he.

Wouldn't it be better for Hezbollah to have left this guy off the list rather than making him the main man. Would the Lebanese really want to know that this is the guy they all suffered for?

Times

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Not a political prisoner at all. This has been a game that has been going on between these two for years. Exchanging prisoners for soldiers. Convicted felons of terrorism, murder, and whatever else for Israel's soldiers. It does not make any sense, but Israel has been reluctant in the past.

Yeah well Israel doesn't have any captured political prisoners from Lebanon. So I guess this is the best they can come up with.

3. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

To make things worse, they are negotiating with terrorists! Something they were so adamantly opposed to!

4. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

rifle butt = worse than bombs....I dont know what this guy did all I have is the word of the Israeli's and frankly i'm not inclined to trust them.

Both sides can say whatever they want about their prisoners does'nt make it true.

But i'm not going to try fighting you dogbone it's fruitless.

5. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

?

The point is that this guy who Hezbollah now claim is the main man with regard to the prisioner release, is just a common murderer, convicted by the courts. I would imagine that most Lebanese would be insulted by the notion that the suffering they have endured and continue to endure, was to enable this character who smashes the head of a 4 year old child, to go home and hug his mum.

Is this the principle that the war was fought over? The Israelis fought the war on the principle of their own security and Hezbollah fought over the principle of releasing a convicted child killer from jail.

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

My main point is that I have no reason to accept the rulings of Israels courts as true.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No ,they are followers of Muhammad and how many did he kill or assasinate? Islam seems to love murderers and killers. Its the religion 1st and everyone else is to be converted or killed. Muhammad was no Jesus thats for sure.

8. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

This is really quite an interesting point you raise and in some way mirrors the root cause of the I/P problem. Let me explain...

What appears to be an intractible cause of strife is that Israel clearly just wants peace. There is no agenda to wipe anyone out. She is a modern democracy, but this is anathema to many middle eastern countries and probably enough reason to want to be rid of her.

The Arab population in Israel has swelled to over 1 million and given their higher birth rates, over the course of time Israel will inevitably become an Arab majority. So one wonders why the surrounding Arab countries wouldn't be happy with that situation as it would seem to fulfill one of their aims.

The reason can be seen in the continuous reliance of the fake issue of RoR. RoR would change the demography instantly and in the current climate of radicalism and hatred. But a slow demographic change over time, would end up with Israel supporting a relatively large population of Arabs who have enjoyed the life of democratic and religious freedom; they wouldn't be too enthusiastic to return to a life of despotic theorcratic dictatorship.

In order to deny the very obvious truths that are there for anyone to see, Arab citizens are bombarded with the most ridiculous propaganda from an early age and throughout their lives. Witness the recently broadcast soap opera about the Protocals of Zion, which was shown throughout the ME and Iran, as one example. And we have a situation where they or you can just dismiss the sentencing of a common murderer as some sort of Israeli plot.

So I come back to your original proposition that the courts in Israel are not to be trusted, even though, being a democracy, they are separated from the dictates of government and indeed have made some decisions which have been very annoying to the government. It is ironic that as in other democratic countries Arabs and Jewish judges can sit together in the courts whereas in other ME countries to suggest that a Jew might fill an analogous seat in court, would be surreal.

Yet you blithely just say, "I don't trust the Israeli courts" and that is the end of the matter as far as you are concerned. In other words you wouldn't trust anything that Israel said, which means that any peace deal that might ever be struck could also not be trusted by you, if you cannot accept the simple non political judgement of a democratic court in sentencing a child murderer then what does that say.

How can there ever be peace if people were to mistrust even the most ordinary decisions of a court of law. Compare and contrast the recent public execution of an alleged Israeli informer in Palestine. Without trial he was simply murdered in cold blood. Does that sort of behaviour make you want to trust the Palestinians?

9. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

@Dont Hurt Me

It is not helpful to shift the topic to unfair muslim bashing lets keep the thread on topic if we can :)

10. Demoman macrumors regular

I remember a quote from "Straw Dogs" that went something like, "No kingdom on earth has shed more blood than the kingdom of God". I think this holds truth in any religion where their leadership becomes a political entity, rather than the steward of its moral dogma.

Christianity need look no further back to the inquisitions, auto de fe, crusades and general genocide of indigenous peoples they conquered in the name of God. Islam has become a political tool to convert its followers into some of the most ruthless murderers since Hitler's SS.

Christians seldom practice the teachings of Jesus, and Islam does not do any better with Muhammad. No need to cast stones. All of these idiots are casting enough of their own.

11. Agathon macrumors 6502a

Agathon

That they publicly acknowledge.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Here we go...:rolleyes: