Hfs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iDavidLeeRoth, Sep 6, 2006.

1. iDavidLeeRoth macrumors regular

Can a file on an HFS formatted harddrive have a question mark in it?

2. iDavidLeeRoth thread starter macrumors regular

What a concept.... NTFS sucks. I always have files that need to have a ? in them

3. iDavidLeeRoth thread starter macrumors regular

Since files in Mac are like this : /home/xx/djds, can a file have a \ in it?

4. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

Why don't you try it? :)

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Discussion of what characters are allowed in MacHFS+ here.

If you want a \ etc in it, you must put the file name in quotations (if you do it directly from the command line), because otherwise the \ represents the next character as special.

For instance you can enter the filename "test file" at the command line without quotations as

test\ file

This filename does not have a \ in it. But if you create a file called "test\ file" it will actually have a \ in it.

6. iDavidLeeRoth thread starter macrumors regular

Because I don't have a Mac at this time.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Anything but a colon (because the colon was the directory separator for the old MacOS). In fact, any Unicode character at all except for a colon--just about any language or special characters you can think of. I just put every non-colon punctuation mark on my keyboard into a filename (including wildcards like & or *), and nary a hiccup.

Actually, it may be technically possible to put colons in as well, but most Mac apps won't let you, anyway, I assume because it would confuse the hell out of older programs without full long filename support. The save dialogues try to prevent you from using a forward slash (/) in filenames as well, since that's the Unix directory separator, but it can certainly still be done, even in the Finder. It's just not a terribly good idea.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, actually, at the command line the ":" is even also permissible without any beef.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Though older applications through Classic may have a problem.