HHGTTG Reviews

Discussion in 'Community' started by Applespider, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Went to see the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night and wasn't entirely sure what to expect. I love the books and radio but was only ever mildly fond of the TV show (Zaphod's second head always made me cringe). My favourite 'character' has always been the Guide itself.

I really enjoyed the film; although they've strayed from the traditional storyline, it does still leave you feeling a little like Arthur, mildly bemused by what's going on.

There are a lot more Vogons (the bureaucrats of the Universe - I wonder if this reflects the increase of paperwork in the Universe since HHGTTG first appeared) which is OK. There's a new character which I'm not entirely sure I saw the point of (I saw a little more point to him after I'd watched the 'Vote Beeblebrox' video on iTMS) and these bits are probably the weakest parts of the story. Zaphod's motivation for stealing the Heart of Gold (which is a teapot rather than a training shoe) and wanting to know the Ultimate Question aren't really explored here. I suspect the DVD version will clear a few things up; in the meantime, I'd suggest having read the book at some point in the last decade to get the most from it. There are lots of small things like the jewelled crabs, bits of Magrathea that are really there for fans.

Having criticised all that though, it's wonderfully absurd; a couple of the Improbability Drive transitions are very clever. Arthur, Ford, Trillian and the Guide are very well-cast. I'd love an electronic notepad in the Guide's form!

People were laughing out loud in the cinema which I guess is a good sign. I must confess to having mild hysterics and slight trouble breathing when the whale voices his last thought... :D I'm still chuckling this morning when I think of it. There are a lot of visual jokes and overall a lot of small touches which amuse. It's definitely worth going to see... although it's so Brit-focused, I'll be curious to see what our US friends make of it!

2. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Glad to hear a positive review! I've been wary of the professional reviewers, because too many of them (on this side of the pond anyway) either a) Have no knowledge of the source meterial, or b) appear to believe that the book is the only version, and thus any deviation from that is heresey.

I'm seeing it Saturday afternoon, I'm kind of worried about bringing my wife and sone since neither of them know much about it, but I'm hoping there will at least be enough absurdity for them to laugh at.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Thanks for the review! We're off out on a little trip to see it tonight – I'll post my thoughts over the weekend.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I have to say it was good but I am dissapointed. There were times - the whale for instance, that was hilarious - that i laughed out loud. But I found other things a bit to slow, or they just didnt have any importance. Like humukavala had no story at all he shouldnt have been there.

I found the acting really good especially arthur, except for Trisha/Trillian. I think she could have been done better.

5. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

I think casting Mos Def was a stroke of genius.

6. phgreer macrumors regular

phgreer

Did anyone notice the subtle Apple computer references around Deep Thought.

1.) I'm not sure but near the end of the movie I think I saw an inset Apple logo near the base of Deep Thought.

2.) At the Rally near the beginning of the movie the slogan was "Think Deep". Wonder if that was a homage to the "Think Different" Campaign?

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, having seen it I've got so say I rather enjoyed it. I didn't find it as funny as the books, but there were still quite a few good laugh-out-loud moments. I know some people are concerned that those who haven't encountered the book, radio series or TV show will have problems getting into it – my girlfriend falls into this group but it didn't stop her enjoyment of the film.

I was a little unsure about Mos Def when the casting was announced but I thought he was excellent. Martin Freeman and Stephen Fry were perfectly cast too.

And it was nice to see the original TV Marvin get a cameo. ;)

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Sounds really good, I'm off to see it tonight I think :D

And its been a while since I read the books, I might have to re read them after I see the movie.

Is there a chance that we'll see the other books in film form?

D

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

They definately leave the ending open for a sequel. THe ending is them in their spaceship and someone says "I'm hungry." and ford says "I know this good restaurant at the end of the universe." And then off they are.

So I'm pretty sure if this one does well, we will see another one.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

LOL: presumably those of us who read it prior to the last decade had a statistical probability of being under the influence of extra-legal conciousness altering substances and shoud re-read it to fact-check our memories? :D

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Great to hear people are satisfied. Cannot wait until July 29th when it premieres here in Norway :)().

One question about the soundtrack to those who seen it already: Have they kept the good old theme from the original radio shows and tv series? I guess they would have to modernize it a little, but please tell me they haven't replaced it completely?

12. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

The main 'theme' is still there when the Guide etc is being introduced but they've added a very cheesy 'So Long and Thanks for All the Fish' musical number at the start; you can get some idea of its style if you watch the Vote Beeblebrox music video on iTMS.

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

14. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

where thehell is this vote beeblebrox video? I cant find it anywhere.

15. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Nevermind I found it, it's only in the UK music store. :p

16. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

It's in Music Videos (and linked from the home page) of the UK iTMS

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Having never heard the radio version, read the books nor seen the TV shows, but did see the Quicktime trailer for it, it looks pretty interesting. I might give it a go in the theaters, and my review would be pretty unbiased.

edit: BTW, I'm a huge Dr. Who fan. :D

18. Applespider thread starter macrumors G4

Applespider

It's not in the Vote Zaphod video (I just threw that in to give some idea of the cheesiness of 'So Long and Thanks for all the Fish', the opening song.

But the main theme is definitely in there; because it was one of the things that I particularly smiled at when they're showing you the Guide. It sounds like a full orchestra is playing it rather than two blokes in Radio 4's soundroom but it's there!

19. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks, again... :)

Now, I'm even more relieved... ;)

20. panphage macrumors 6502

I have to almost totally agree with applespider. The bits where they strayed were less funny and less interesting, the new character seemed pointless. I also felt a bit betrayed by the emphasis on the typical hollywood cow feces: a heavy-handed romantic subplot that tries to ruin Dent as a character (by making him motivated by "get the girl" rather than motivated by the absurdity) and too much reliance on Vogons to provide a "bad guy". But, I laughed my posterior off several times and absolutely LOVED the casting all around. Especially Mos Def. He's brilliant.

21. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Okay, I went and saw it today. Overall impression is that although they stayed true enough to the source material, overall I felt like the movie was missing a spark. It felt like it needed more energy. Nothing I can put my finger on, it just felt a bit flat.

That said, I enjoyed it :) Everyone was well cast, except Trillian who I felt couldn't act.

I really didnt mind the changes. The love story had always been there anyway, bringing it out was fine. I liked having the Vogons more prominent, and emphasizing the beurocracy they lived for was very appropriate.

Lots of good little "easter eggs". The original music, the original Marvin in the queue, the guest appearance of Simon Jones.

Everything about the movie seemed good, yet somehow it just felt a bit flat for me. It's driving me crazy trying to figure out why.

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I really liked the movie and thought it was well done, but thought it was a bit flat as well.

The Vogons were great, enjoyed seeing more of them and the cast was perfect - Alan Rickman as the voice for Marvin was great :D

But I think one of the reasons that it was a bit off was the scenes with the book HHGTTG itself - don't know why, but even thought it explained things, it cut the flow of the action. And that was similar to the original book but it worked better when you were reading it, not watching it.

I'm going to go dig out my copy of the books and read them again. I'm looking forward to getting the DVD and see what other stuff they've managed to put on it - I also imagine we'll be seeing the other books eventually.

D

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You might have a bit of a wait, but at least you've got award winning fjords.
    ;)

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, I know... Slartibartfast did a great job there... ;)

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just not right :D :p

I was thinking that there should have been a bit more of him in the movie for some reason....

D