Hhhhheeeeelllllpppp!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by tominated, Sep 16, 2006.

1. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

I really need help. I just used uno's uninstall thing and logged out, but i tried to open itunes AND IT SAYS
    I checked the iStat widget, and both my hd and ram were fine, so i tried restarting. IT WOULDN'T FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP!

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

what's uno's uninstall thing? like uno the card game? or what??

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think he is referring to this http://gui.interacto.net/. It allows you to have a consistent GUI for all apps, something apparently Apple doesn't care too much about.

To the original poster, maybe try deleting the itunes preference panel.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I agree with wwooden. Look for a file named com.apple.iTunes.plist in your Preferences folder and drag it to the Desktop. :)

5. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

i am confused. i am only a newbie with macs. can you dim it down a little?

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

They are suggesting that your preferences file for iTunes is corrupted. Not sure this is the case, but...

When you remove a preference file for an application, then launch the application, it will make a brand new one. So, if it was corrupt, this is how you would fix it. Note that your will lose you settings and such and have to re-fiddle later.

To remove your preference file, browse to the following location in the finder:

User(whatever your home folder is) > Library > Preferences

Then find the file com.apple.itunes.plist and delete it.

If this was the root of the problem, you should be able to launch iTunes now.

7. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

thanks, but, I don't want to lose all my settings, I just tweaked it to the way I wanted it. Is there any way you can still do it without losing everything?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, technically you'll still have your settings in the file on the Desktop but if it is a corrupt preference file, you'd have to reconfigure iTunes. :eek:

It might be easier to head into the Accounts pane of System Preferences, set up a new account, and see if the problem carries over to that new account. It's a good idea to keep a second account for troubleshooting problems like this. :)

9. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

why would it be saying something about the memory if it is a settings file?:confused:

10. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

To put it in the simplest possible terms, if you can prove the error message is wrong, then you have to look at other possibilities.

The error message is the end product of a piece of error-trapping code in the software. What error is actually being trapped could possibly be being caused by something else other than what the programmer intended. Since we don't know what, we play around with stuff. :)

11. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

i found in my music folder 2 files that look like they contain the library data they are "iTunes library" which the icon says data and "iTunes Music Library" which is an xml file. do you thing if i kept those files and opened them after a reinstall, would it give me my library and playlists back?
    BTW: how do you reinstall it?

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, those files keep your playlist and playcount information. I wouldn't bother reinstalling it but if you feel you must, then just drag iTunes from the Applications folder to the Trash. You may also need to trash some receipt files in the Receipts folder (they'll have iTunes in their name) in the Library. Spotlight will be able to find them for you. Just search for iTunes and pkg.

I'd try making the new user account first though. It's quicker, easier and safer. :)

13. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

so if i make another account and itunes works, should i use that for music?
    BTW: if it doesn't work how do i install it (you've said how to uninstall but not reinstall

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If it works in the other account then we can narrow down the problem to something corrupt in your original account's Home folder, such as a preference file. Reinstalling iTunes should be a matter of re-downloading it from Apple and double clicking on the file. If you don't delete any of the preference or library files, it shouldn't need to be reconfigured. :)

Also, have we asked whether you have any third party apps associated with iTunes? Something else might be conflicting with it...

15. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

nope, no plugins or anything else...

...although...

....i had iTunes open when using uno's uninstall thing.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Oooh, in future try to remember to close all apps when installing or uninstalling a system modifier, whether that be a theme changer or an Apple OS update. :)

17. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

i just checked on a new user, same problem!!!

18. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

i just checked on a new user, same problem!!! so should i save those library files and reinstall iTunes?

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, give it a go. You shouldn't need to do anything with the library files but maybe back them up to somewhere for safekeeping. Good luck. :)

20. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

SOLUTION: I just did the EXACT same thing as you Tominated. I uninstalled Uno with iTunes open. Here is what you do.

1) Trash the iTunes application in the Applications folder (this will not lose any settings at all).
    2) Download and install iTunes 7 again.
    3) I guarentee it will fix your problem.
    4) Do not make such a ridiculous and stupid thread title ever again.

:):):):)

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's kinda what he's doing. :cool:

Did you have to remove any receipts? Sometimes iTunes won't let you reinstall if there are still packages in the Receipts folder.

22. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Straight and simple. Just follow my easy steps above. Especially #4 :)

23. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

THANK YOU!!!!!:D I could kiss you! (not literally)

24. tominated thread starter macrumors 68000

tominated

new problem...

...i can't get bejeweled to import (i bought it).

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You have to give us more information. Is it giving you an error message? You do realise you'll have to authorise your computer again for games (don't ask why, I don't know but it seems to be a common problem) by going to Store in the menu bar then Authorise Computer.

Need the info...