Hi-8 to DVD help

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mmoin, Dec 29, 2003.

1. mmoin macrumors regular

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi guys- I'm currently trying to convert my Hi8 tapes from my camcorder to DVD (I have a PowerBook with a Superdrive). My camcorder, a sony digital handycam, has a firewire output, so I can connect it directly to my computer. Is there any program that makes the process straightforward to get the video from my camcorder to my computer and then burn it to DVD.
  2. erik1975 macrumors member

Aug 20, 2002
    There are two ways, depending on what type of Sony camera you have:

1. If your camera is a Digital8, just put your tape in, and import the video into Imovie, from there go to iDVD. But, I doubt you have Digital8, or you would probably already be importing the video.

2. Use your Digital camcorder as a passthru device to get the signal to your computer. I am making several assumptions here. Your case not be exactly as I describe. Most new Sony camers have a passthru feature where you can input av into the camera through the RCA/S-Video connections. You may have to enable the feature in the menu on the camcorder. Now you can connect from your camcorder, or VCR with Hi8 tape playback, and route the signal through the Sony, and into the Mac.

Or there could very well be a case 3 that I do not even know about . . .