Hi-Fi; a gateway to an Apple TV in every room?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kavika411, Mar 23, 2006.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Despite its flaws, I am a believer in the Airport Express. I am also a believer in Apple having very systematic plans for rolling out new products in a logical, desirable manner. That being said, I think I have figured out where they are going with all of this. (Somebody may have already hit on this, but I haven't seen it anywhere.)

Step 1 - Apple releases a speaker system - the Hi-Fi - which is ideal for putting in various rooms throughout your house.

Step 2 - Apple releases the inevitable video-friendly Airport Express (which hopefully doesn't have interference problems). We consumers buy it; we are excited because it means that we can transfer video (music videos, movies, video podcasts, etc.) from our computer to our existing TV in our living room.

Step 3 - Apple releases an Apple TV/video screen/monitor of sorts which sits perfectly atop the Hi-Fi, like it was designed only to work with the Hi-Fi. This TV thing has only one input which connects - you guessed it - with the Airport Express.

So, in every room in your house you now have four things - an Airport Express plugged in the wall, a video/audio cord running from the airport express, a Hi-Fi speaker and the Apple TV thing which fits snuggly on top of the Hi-Fi. I guess you'd also have some sort of radio frequency remote which controls that TV/Hi-Fi by sending a signal to your compture in the other room.

It makes sense. Of course, in the meantime, Apple would have to ramp up the video content you can get off of iTunes.

Any takers?

2. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

No.

3. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

While the possibilities and rumors are there for Apple to release a TV, I doubt it will happen. Even if they do I don't think their plan was to use the Hi-Fi as a speaker system. As others have said before, it just doesn't compare to a 5.1 system. The Hi-Fi was made specifically for iPods.

4. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thanks for your comments. I agree that the the Hi-Fi can't come close to 5.1 quality, and that's why it'll never take over the living room. What I envision is an Apple TV/Hi-Fi combo for the rest of the house. As much as I'd love to have 5.1 in my bedroom, it's never going to happen because of size, space, wiring, etc. issues. Same for my bathroom and kitchen and back porch. If they could make a monitor which rests atop the Hi-Fi, perhaps even plugs into the Hi-Fi through the iPod dock, it could probably fill a market gap. Of course, all of this is dependent on (1) a fairly flawless airport express system and (2) consumers embracing iTunes video content.