Hi, I have a noob question about audio interfaces.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Sir Tony, May 9, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Nov 10, 2007
    I have starting mixing a little bit on my iMac. I just picked up a pair of M-Audio BX5a's. I am currently running them out of the audio out with a y splitter (yuck I know!). I am looking for an inexpensive audio interface with 1/4 outputs. I really do not need any midi inputs and such right now, but wouldn't mind having them for the future. What are my options?

2. Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    The Griffiin iMic is a solid and cheap interface, it doesn't have 1/4" outs, but has a 1/8" stereo to Phono adapter.

It is significantly better than the native output, without spending serious wedge.
  3. macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2007
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Will you be doing any recording...? the below options include xlr & 1/4" inputs.

Apogee Duet - $495
    2x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
    2x 1/4" Line Inputs
    2x 1/4" Line Out (speakers)

PreSonus FireBox - $300
    2x XLR at 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
    2x 1/4" On back panel
    6x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
    MIDI I/O

M-Audio FireWire Solo - $165
    1x XLR 24-bit/96kHz with phantom power
    2x 1/4" Line Input
    2x 1/4" Line Outs (speakers)
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 10, 2007
    I went ahead and purchased a Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface for $30. I read some reviews on it and found that it is much better than the iMac internal sound card and I have a little bit more control over it. I am looking to upgrade in the future but this should work in the meantime. Thank you for your help!
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2007
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    How did it work out?

Hi, I'm thinking about picking up a UCA202 by Behringer, and was wondering how your purchase worked out.
  6. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Maybe it is OK for your use but Behringer has a reputation for not making the best gear. Their stuff is mostly low end but a decent value for what it is. But if that is what you need then it's a bargin.

I bought a Behringer mixer. It is certainly not good enough to record with but All I wanted it for was to mix iPod with my Roland keyboard to run into headphones for practice. The Behringer unit was 1/2 the price of a good pro level mixer.
  7. macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2007
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks ChrisA. I just want a glorified toy to try out low quality recording with Garageband. If I ever got into serious recording where sound quality mattered I'd upgrade. Sounds like your basically saying, "you get what you paid for" which is what I'm after [and not paying a lot ;)]
  8. macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2009
    City of Angels
    the preamps on those Behringer mixers are surprisingly good for their price though

I used them to record vocals through them when I was on a budget. I still carry around a cheap 4 track Behringer for sessions and I know a few club DJ's who use them in their setups

Behringer audio interfaces though, I don't know anyone who uses them. I didn't even know they made interfaces