hi, i'm new!

Discussion in 'Community' started by lscrm, Dec 25, 2003.

1. lscrm macrumors newbie

Hi everybody. I'm new here and I look forward to meeting and making a lot of new friends.
    welcometo visit my web site : http://www.lscrm.com
    happy holiday!

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well congrats and welcome, let me be the start of a few tips that will prevent lots of people getting pissed at you. along with this site read macbyes and use the search button alot. you wouldnt believe how many threads we get from news that contains something that has already been posted as well as been posted on macbytes. other than that have fun, im sure some other people will have some other good tips.

iJon

3. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Welcome. I feel I should warn you, before you're scolded.
    It's Mac or mac.... never MAC. I could personally care less, but there are zealots who will jump all over you for using the uppercase spelling.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

hi, i'm kwyjibo

in addition to all of the things iJon mentioned, be sure to read lots of threads .. .even ones with topics you may not know about or be interested in ... you learn something new everyday and its only better if thats a mac- related thing ... over the last year i've developed my OSx knowledge and shortcuts more than i would ever imagined ... also take recomendations seriously , people around here not only know about the good stuff meaning industry standard software like photoshop or dreamweaver or FCP, they know about the freeware/shareware that just makes everything for fun ...
    me for instance I goto sites like xicons.com and create my own theme of icons / backgrounds and change them constantly ... except for my gumby characters they stay ... have fun
    kwyjibo

5. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hi and welcome

lscrm well cant say much more than what these guys have said apart from recomend you check out the live irc chat chanel that MacRumors has. if you click live chat you will find many of us in there as well just in case you need any futher help

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hello! Welcome n3wbie! :eek: ;) :)
    Along with using the search button etc, also worth taking the time to check out the Mac Rumors Forum FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions), again, lots of info, that for some reson people still can't seem to be able to read and so post dumb threads asking already answered questions :rolleyes: . Dumb thread = mild lick of flame :D ...or A LOT of flame if AlphaTech ever comes back (but don't worry about that, that's a whole other story)

7. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Yeah, welcome and merry Christmas.

The FAQ suggestion is golden. I've searched for stuff before and had irregular luck. Generally, people here are pretty forgiving. Don't worry about it. This site is an absolute gold mine of information. Enjoy it.

Squire

P.S. If you have any questions that you think might be dumb, why not ask them in this thread?

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Pardon my anal-retentive Mac friend here. Type any way you want. Even "MAk" will do. :) :)

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

please keep political topics in the political forum

10. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Run. Run while you still can!

Actually, you should enjoy these forums. For the most part if you stick to the right sections, the boards are moderated well enough that you can avoid flame wars really easily. I've been whoring around in another forum lately (only because it's on a topic I need a daily fix on) and I have a much better appreciation for what a tightly run ship this is.

And if someone posts something that you find to be off-topic and offensive, use the report button. Do not, as I have many times, reply to it with any level of reason, because that only perpetuates the problem.

Use quotes sparingly. If you're responding to one line in a lengthy post, just cut out the rest of the post...but don't be afraid to quote an entire short post when you're replying directly too it just because it's the last post. By the time you finish it may be five posts up. Tell anyone who gives you a hard time about it to bite your shiny metal ass.

That's it. Be nice, enjoy.

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Though some (like me, I guess) make it a point to call folks on things, thereby trying to eliminate the problem. You'll get good at weeding out the mundane, the useless and the unfathomable. There are some real good folks here that can truly help you. Are you new to Mac? Nice site you have there.

12. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I never really understood why people got upset over that. Either way, most people (kuyu included) couldn't care less.

Anyway, it's a fun way to learn a lot about a MAk. ;)

Squire

13. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Hah! AlphaTech, oh man. Someone many of the senior members, or even well recognized board members, refer to nearly every time the word "newbie" appears on the screen. :p :eek: :eek:

You could pronounce "Mac" with an accent and spell it as "Mach," but people might begin to think that you shave your CPU. :p

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Welcome to the Mac Forums, lscrm. It is nice to have you aboard, hope that you will enjoy posting. Be sure to check out the announcments at the top of each thread, following the rules will help to keep you out of trouble.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Hi welcome to the forums, my name is scem0!

Not to greet you just to criticize, but PLEASE TAKE THAT HORRID BLINKING OUT OF YOUR WEBSITE!!!

Nice to meet you,

scem0 :D

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm shocked scem0! :eek:

My wife complains about items like that, I thought that it just had to do with her age. So now with your complaint maybe it has to do with a sensitivity.

18. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

the blinking looks so 1998
    :D:D
    anyways, welcome to the site, have a good time and enjoy your self

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Please do this. Forcing thousands of members and others to scroll unessesarily is rather unkind.

This is a pretty good forum. You'll find most to be well mannered. The mods do a good job of setting the tone (mostly, hehe).

And as others have pointed, the one thing that will get people here excited the most is starting a topic that has been discussed often. So try to find the answer to your problem elsewhere or check to see if the topic you want to discuss has already been posted.

This is a great place. Enjoy your time here (but not too much, or you'll waste alot of precious time).