hi-speed compactflash worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ambrose Chapel, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i just bought a d-rebel xt and now i need to upgrade my memory. i want to get a 1GB compactflash card, so i was looking around and saw that buy.com has these two:

Kingston 1GB Elite Pro Card for $70 or a vanilla Kingston 1GB card for $50.

the blurb for the Pro card claims transfer rates of up to 8 MB/sec & write performance and a read speed of 10 MB/sec. my question is, is it worth it to go with this Pro card? will it make a difference in the camera? i'll be uploading the pics to my TiBook using a card reader (and usb 1.1), though i'll be getting a new Mac within a year that will obviously have usb 2.0.

thanks!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I have two 258 CF cards. One is "high-speed" while the other is not. The only difference I see is when I want to take two pics back-to-back real quick. I high speed card seems to be ready to take the next pic much sooner than the standard card.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've seen a big difference between 1x, 4x, 16x, and 50x cards. The Pro card which you've mentioned is about 40x/50x. Your camera should be able to take advantage of the card's speed. I'm still impatient when I'm uploading 100+ 5 MP shots into the computer from my fastest card.

You might also check out the SanDisk Extreme III, which I believe is twice as fast as the fastest card I have, an Ultra II.

4. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

thanks for the replies. i'll take a look at that sandisk too, bousozoku, though it sounds like it may be overkill for me...

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

High Speed CF cards are much better suited to higher-end cameras where you snap off pictures one after the other. That way you don't fill up your camera's buffer with pictures.

Lower Speed CF cards are fine for taking studio pictures. But if you want to take pictures of a soccer game or something, then you might hit your camera's buffer limit a few times. (Means that you must wait for buffer data to be written to the card).

Go for something 30x and up, that's my thought.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

this probably isnt an issue with your new camera, but with my hp photosmart camera, i had a cheap sd card (actaually free with the camera) and then got a 40x 256mb kingmax card and noticed no difference because the bottleneck was the camera. just a thought